1200 into GSX750 Inazuma

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cheese Monkey, yeah was thinking of doing the same, do you know if the coils are the same as the B12, not sure which carbs to use though either.

From what i know the Inazuma 1200 uses the same carbs as the 750 with different internals, I've got a set from both the 750 and the B12 so will probably have to see what works.

I've lost my build space at the moment so mine is on hold for a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this isn't too late to the party but I did a similar swap a few years back, with an 1127 into a 750 Inazuma.

To confirm, the lump wait straight into the frame with no problems whatsoever, IIRC using all the original engine mounts and bolts.

I don't remember any issues with the fuel tap not clearing the top of the lump, but it was a long time ago now.  I do remember the bottom of the tank is very, very close to the top of the lump.

Regards to the loom, I'm pretty sure I used the loom and CDI from the 750.  The wiring on the 1127 CDI was totally different.  I had to take the timing rotor off the 750 motor and put it into the 1127 as they were totally different shapes.  I do remember having a hell of a time doing this as the hex bolt holding the 1127 rotor in place had been chewed up - if I didn't remember hours and hours of drilling and grinding to get it out, I'd have told you l'd used the 1127 CDI and loom.  Because that's what any sensible person would do.

However you get on, you won't regret the swap - my Inazuma was an absolute riot with that motor installed, and I always regretted having to let it go when I did.

• 3 years later...

FINALLY got my mitts on a b12 for a price I can afford. Gonna rip the engine out of it on the weekend.

My GSX has had several years of hard labour (nearly 60k on the clocks) and is morphing into a proper rat bike (no im not sorry). But its soon to be a rat on crack.

Going to do as Madax says and use the 750 cdi and swap the 750 rotor into the 12 engine rather than mincing about looms. Anyone aware of any potential issues doing this? Rev limit is a grand more on the 750 but I'm sure I can live with that haha

Thanks chaps. Got started with stripping the B12 down this evening. Its a total shed. I though about putting the 750 engine in it but I'd have to spend too much money on it to get it through MOT, safe enough to ride and presentable enough to sell. So its going to be torn down totally for spares.

Spent a few hours on it and got all of the ancilliary stuff off. Amazed it hadnt burnt down to be honest the main fuel line was the worst I have ever seen. Cracked almost all the way through in several places.

Still need to get the chain off, drain oil and drop the oil cooler off. I cant remember if its necessary to take the headers off to get the engine out? I expect it is however I would really rather not try the studs if I can avoid it for obvious reasons. Got all the engine mounts cracked  easily so they are ready to go, so that was a result

Header bolts came straight out. Major relief. The 750 ones look properly ropey so I'm not so confident with them. May end up chopping the exhaust off and dealing with them later but will see how they go on the big day.

The only unknown now is the airbox. I'm hoping I will be able to use the 750 airbox. I could put pods on but I'd rather not as it gets used year round and I dont want to cock up the fuelling too much

Edited by cheese monkey

Hey cheese, I am halfway through doing exactly this, think my thread is on page 2 or page 3. Also putting a Mk2 B12 into a GSX 750.

I swapped the pulse gen and the neutral switch from the 750 to the 1200 so they will plug into the existing loom. General consensus seems to be that it will work fine on the 750 CDI, or the mk1 1200 CDI should plug in as a safe option.

I have not changed the timing rotor itself, only the pickup. So far I've had it running and idling, but not on the road (now the engine is out again to drill the lower engine mount to the 12mm), so remains to be seen if that's an issue. Would people recommend changing the rotor as well?

Have left the throttle position sensor disconnected for now as I was advised it "does fuck all" :D