Big Single engines dr 650 750 800

I can't tell you much about the 750/800 but I have had a modded DR650 for about 20 years. They are a bombproof motor that is still basically unchanged since '96 and still sold in plenty of places around the world. In stock form they are a little gutless but this is easily sorted with a couple of well documented mods ( exhaust and airbox/jetting ) without affecting the reliability one jot.  Drriders is a very good forum to look at with everything you ever need to know about them. I would think your biggest problem will be finding a post '96 in the UK as they are not exactly common, having said that, service items and day to day spares are not a problem.

Look for 'supermono' on all the usual places. Sometimes complete ex-race bikes are for sale, e.g. breathed on DR 800 motor in a Tigcraft chassis. The Suzuki engines were never really that competitive in this race class but DR based machines still sometimes turn up as they were probably relatively cheap to run. The supermono racers have their own interwebs site too. If you want to build a bike with a non-stock frame then it's usually easier and more cost-effective to get a whole bike first, even if it's in a state.

Edited by Dezza
  • 3 weeks later...