Fitting barrels/pistons

Bobby

No sorry I should be more clear, the new pistons are in the barrels by using a ring compressor, now I need to connect the pistons to the Conrods. 
I am thinking about sliding the pistons so the wrist pins are exposed then slide the pin in. Is this possible and/or what other ways are they? 

2 hours ago, Bobby said:

No sorry I should be more clear, the new pistons are in the barrels by using a ring compressor, now I need to connect the pistons to the Conrods. 
I am thinking about sliding the pistons so the wrist pins are exposed then slide the pin in. Is this possible and/or what other ways are they? 

i,ve done it that way a few times i found that having the engine vertical "ish" with the studs over the edge of the bench worked well...."i did use buttons and not circlips to retain pins thou" 

the other way is to use ring clamps and fit the block to the pistons and rods...

i always install New Rings Dry into a Dry Bore.....

• Like 1
8 hours ago, no class said:

....pistons on the rods , 4 wood shims to keep the 4 pistons level ,ring compressor , lightly oil , place cylinder block on the pistons , gently tap the block until all 4 pistons have cleared the rings .....

Is probably the best way!

Your described way is likely to displace a circlip into the crankcase and when you've retrieved it, you'll ping another off! It can be done but it's so much of a faff to be worth it! Oh and in any case, two sets of hands are useful!

9 hours ago, Duckndive said:

i,ve done it that way a few times i found that having the engine vertical "ish" with the studs over the edge of the bench worked well...."i did use buttons and not circlips to retain pins thou" 

the other way is to use ring clamps and fit the block to the pistons and rods...

9 hours ago, Duckndive said:

Cool, will try both ways. As my pistons are already in the barrels I will try my original option, I do have the buttons with the mtc pistons instead of circlips, so that should make it slightly easier. 
I’ll most likely be going it alone so a lot of patients and being came required!

it was fairly tight squeeze getting the pistons in when on the bench, never mind trying to do it with the pistons on the conrod, that’s why I thought the first option. 
will let you guys know how I get on. Thanks for the advice 

10 hours ago, Bobby said:

it was fairly tight squeeze getting the pistons in when on the bench, never mind trying to do it with the pistons on the conrod, that’s why I thought the first option. 
will let you guys know how I get on. Thanks for the advice 

Not really - The barrels will slip over the crowns of the pistons equally as they are all held level and still with the wood strips and the sleeves sit on the rings. You then go round the top rings, one piston at a time with a thin screwdriver, compressing the ring into the sleeve using gravity to slip down over the ring - start one edge and work along until all top rings are in. then start again from piston 1 - don't push anything, the barrel's weight is sufficient. Good luck trying to hold 8No buttons in place whilst holding barrels and trying to slide pistons into the sleeves!

Edited by Gixer1460