Gsx1100ef and Bandit motors

rupsol

Why are there so many EFE frames for sale with no engines?

Why are EFE engines so expensive. 

Bandit engines are cheap and plentiful, lighter, more powerful and pound per bhp alot cheaper to make faster than an EFE engine. 

I'm a fan of the original engine in the frame but I also see alot of negativity towards those that fit an oil cooled engine into an EFE, regularly seeing comments such as "sacrilege" or "WRONG ENGINE". 

I would sooner see an efe on the road with an oil cooled engine than it sit there for snobbery sake that it doesnt have it's original engine. 

Plus I like to think every time an oil cooled engine is fitted to an EFE that some single minded Air Cooled fan gets the hump.

Edited by Kid Kearsley
  • Like 8

The original question still has not been answered, especially in the context of non-race efe engines lasting forever with only basic (i.e. cheap) maintenance:) Maybe many efe's had their engines used in other chassis for either drag racing, 1100 Kat upgrades or in trick frames resulting in a glut of efe chassis each requiring an alternative engine.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dezza said:

The original question still has not been answered, especially in the context of non-race efe engines lasting forever with only basic (i.e. cheap) maintenance:) Maybe many efe's had their engines used in other chassis for either drag racing, 1100 Kat upgrades or in trick frames resulting in a glut of efe chassis each requiring an alternative engine.

TBH you could buy a complete running EFE and break the motor and sell parts  

buy a oil boiler motor and fit it...and end up quids in 

I luv the air cooled motor and still have three but the oil boiler has so much more going for it from the get go...

The EFE "engine" was only produced for a short time in relation to other air cooled models which with the many that died on drag strips and breakers adds to the scarcity of the engine

" unrelated but " Suzuki even killed sales in the final year of EFE with the introduction of the Slabie 

Edited by Duckndive
1 hour ago, Duckndive said:

TBH you could buy a complete running EFE and break the motor and sell parts  

buy a oil boiler motor and fit it...and end up quids in 

I luv the air cooled motor and still have three but the oil boiler has so much more going for it from the get go...

The EFE "engine" was only produced for a short time in relation to other air cooled models which with the many that died on drag strips and breakers adds to the scarcity of the engine

" unrelated but " Suzuki even killed sales in the final year of EFE with the introduction of the Slabie 

Yep, I remember in 1986-1988 new efe's were available from Coburn and Hughes and the like for £2600 otr: no-one wanted them apart from drag racers and special builders with deep pockets as they were deemed bikes with an old fashioned engine that handled like a supermarket trolley with a wonky wheel, which I suppose was partially true:)