APE Head studs

Hey guys, 

as the title, I'm in the process of fitting APE studs etc,  tightening them down to correct torque to notice not all are sat at the same length, just looked at my old ones to find 4 are slightly shorter. Now, I did not pay attention when removing them nor does my workshop manual tell me which 4 are the short ones are where they go, Can anyone please help me. Cheers bobby 

19 hours ago, Bobby said:

Hey guys, 

as the title, I'm in the process of fitting APE studs etc,  tightening them down to correct torque to notice not all are sat at the same length, just looked at my old ones to find 4 are slightly shorter. Now, I did not pay attention when removing them nor does my workshop manual tell me which 4 are the short ones are where they go, Can anyone please help me. Cheers bobby 

you don't say what engine ..but a look on the parts fiche for the bike may help as they will have different part no ..:)

Indeed, I should of given more information.. it’s for a 86 GSXR 1100 1052 motor! 
the brand new APE studs are all pretty much the same length, a couple are a fraction shorter.

my original studs I have 4 shorter.

ive never known head bolts to be different lengths!

cheers bobby 

This would confirm the 4No short studs

1540256879_GSXR1052Barrels.thumb.JPG.0254841b0c30eaaa42a7b022e08bf2b1.JPG

I'm guessing the 4No short ones are for the oil ways as they aren't defined?  I'd maybe use your shorter studs in the centre oil ways although 4 matching would be better. Using long studs in short positions can't hurt unless you bottom out the threads before full torque is achieved.

Cool, so they are 4 shorter ones, as said the APE studs are all about the same length,  like you say, if they torque down ok with thread to spare then can’t see why it would not be all ok.

the shorter ones probably came from the middle! 
cheers gents