Is this acceptable?

Gents,

I had pistons copied by JE, I'm not impressed by what they did, but hey..

One piston has this, see red arrow. Grooves of piston rings were cut, then the bore for the wrist pin was done. Because of a lack of enough material a bump in the oil ring was created.

I had to file the bump off to make the oil move in the groove without too much resistance, there for there is a gap were the wrist pin is, about 6mm, the oil ring is not supported.

Is this acceptable? As in, is this going to cause trouble?

One hand I would say, should be right, other hand.... I'm not too sure..

Thanks

zuiger.jpg

Edited by Reinhoud

I have seen a lot of race pistons in stroked car engines machined with the oil ring exposed into the wrist pin hole, and they work successfully. It is an oil scraper and does not need to form a seal on the lower ring land. If you do not like them, send them back. On a bike engine I personally would have used a piston with normal ring pack, and spaced the barrel to suit the stroked crank.

1 hour ago, wombat258 said:

I have seen a lot of race pistons in stroked car engines machined with the oil ring exposed into the wrist pin hole, and they work successfully. It is an oil scraper and does not need to form a seal on the lower ring land. If you do not like them, send them back. On a bike engine I personally would have used a piston with normal ring pack, and spaced the barrel to suit the stroked crank.

The other 3 pistons are ok.

I'm afraid that when the scraper turns the ends get hooked and scratch the barrel.

• 1 month later...