Bandit 1200 Turbo Questions

I finally pulled the trigger on turbocharging my 2002 Bandit 1200. I plan on building up the engine first and I'm currently working with Dave Dunlop over at FBM on a bolt on blow through turbo setup utilizing a mitstubishi 19t. I'm building up the engine currently and just ordered an HD cam chain, studs, head nuts, valve springs from APE and planning on using a used set of 1999 Huyabusa pistons and rods with a cometic MLS head gasket with a 2mm (0.080) aluminum base plate. I had a few questions that I couldn't find any answer to online and I'm hoping some of the turbo wizards on the forum could help me out a bit. Sorry for the wall of questions I wish I had more to contribute to the forum. Thanks in advance!

-Do you need to use 2 base gaskets with the 2mm (0.080) aluminum base plate or do you ditch the base gaskets altogether? The base plate is only needed if I use the Huyabusa rods correct?

-What cylinder wall clearance are people running for the 81mm huyabusa pistons in the Bandit 1200 barrels? Also what ring gap are you using so the rings don't butt under some serious heat?

-Could I resuse the ring set that came with the used Huyabusa pistons? Replacement rings looked to almost be as much as some aftermarket pistons online.

- What is the maximum advance of the stock ignition? assuming the ignition is too advanced to be safe under boost what kind of cheap solutions are out there for retarding the ignition?

Thanks again for taking the time to read my post. I'm trying to build the bike on a tight budget as i'm currently attending university but i'm no stranger to turbo builds.

"Oh my....." has been the story of my life haha. Sorry if I came off rude. I've read several builds on the forum and honestly have become a big fan of the forum members on this board so i wanted to become a member myself. Perhaps some build up of the questions would give more insight as to the problems i'm facing. I hope this thread will help others having similar questions who can't find the answers either. 

Not sure if there's a proper section to introduce yourself but in short my name is Justin and i'm from Connecticut, USA. I'm currently 21 years old and I decided to turbocharge my bandit as it was the most comfortable cruising bike I've ridden thus far but it lacks the power of my 2004 Yamaha R1 (obviously). I figured instead of selling the R1 and putting the money toward a Huyabusa or something with equal or greater power that I could achieve the performance I want from my 2002 B12 for around the same price or less. Again sorry for the wall of questions and i'm sure i'm beating a dead horse with a few of them. I hoped some of the Turbo Guru's could chime in from past experience. Experience being something i'm lacking when it comes to Turbo B12's.

12 hours ago, CB750RACER said:

1 - Do you need to use 2 base gaskets with the 2mm (0.080) aluminum base plate or do you ditch the base gaskets altogether? The base plate is only needed if I use the Huyabusa rods correct?

2 - What cylinder wall clearance are people running for the 81mm huyabusa pistons in the Bandit 1200 barrels? Also what ring gap are you using so the rings don't butt under some serious heat?

3 - Could I resuse the ring set that came with the used Huyabusa pistons? Replacement rings looked to almost be as much as some aftermarket pistons online.

4 - What is the maximum advance of the stock ignition? assuming the ignition is too advanced to be safe under boost what kind of cheap solutions are out there for retarding the ignition?

5 - I'm trying to build the bike on a tight budget 

1 - doesn't a 2mm gasket just put you back to regular compression?

2 - No reason to run much bigger than stock Blandit in either case.

3 - You could provided they are going into fresh bored barrels - if not - replace

4 - The stock ignition advance is ok for off and low boost applications 6-7psi But what you need is a way of retarding it at higher figures, that means smarter ignition system. Could slot the timing plate but that just compromises the timing EVERYWHERE!

5 - Oh Dear ! That rarely works or results in a successful outcome. From past experience - set your budget ......... and double it!

Welcome to OSS.

Like stated earlier, please  take some time to read the rules.

In short;

We love old ( mostly modified)  Suzuki's preferably from the 80's era,

We do not deny the existance of other motorcycle brands, they are simply just the wrong brand for our site with a clear hint in the URL. No need for visual reminders of them too

Stock bandits are considered donor bikes so you are doing the right thing (y)

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

1 - doesn't a 2mm gasket just put you back to regular compression?

2 - No reason to run much bigger than stock Blandit in either case.

3 - You could provided they are going into fresh bored barrels - if not - replace

4 - The stock ignition advance is ok for off and low boost applications 6-7psi But what you need is a way of retarding it at higher figures, that means smarter ignition system. Could slot the timing plate but that just compromises the timing EVERYWHERE!

5 - Oh Dear ! That rarely works or results in a successful outcome. From past experience - set your budget ......... and double it!

Thank you Gixer1460, I appreciate your quick response! I was unsure if the 2mm aluminum spacer puts me back at 0 deck height assuming the head/barrels never been skimmed. I honestly wasn't entirely sure if the aluminum spacer would seal without the gaskets as i know with copper gaskets you need some kind of sealant . I'll have to measure the deck height once the pistons finally come in and I get the cylinder bored. I'm going to try out the stock rings assuming they look good in person.

I thought of slotting my timing plate but like you said it would affect the ignition all along the range. I'd hate to have it run like a dog at lower rpms which will be about 95% of the time riding it sadly haha. I'll have to start looking into some aftermarket units i'm sure theirs plenty of info for that on the forum i'll have to catch up on.

I've learned from the first turbo build haha. It'll be cheaper this time around having FBM do the full kit. Trial and error got expensive on my last build so I think taking that step out brings the cost down a lot.

15 hours ago, banoffee said:

This 9_9

Oh and go read the rules... particularly if you were wondering where your H@nda pic and link have gone.

12 hours ago, Blubber said:

Welcome to OSS.

Like stated earlier, please  take some time to read the rules.

In short;

We love old ( mostly modified)  Suzuki's preferably from the 80's era,

We do not deny the existance of other motorcycle brands, they are simply just the wrong brand for our site with a clear hint in the URL. No need for visual reminders of them too

Stock bandits are considered donor bikes so you are doing the right thing (y)

I'm not prejudice I have a 1972 Susuki GT750J as well with the twin drum front brakes if that brings some style points back. My apologies I've read through the rules and will follow them going forward.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, clivegto said:

I used gasgacinch on my 2mm spacor plate with mk1 busa rods & pistons. It's just like rubber contact glue. Ended up at just less than 8 to 1 comp. 

IMG_20191204_111535.jpg

Yep - thats what I use on copper head gaskets - will be fine on barrel base gasket or use a couple of waxed paper gaskets. if you are still running oil up the studs, some form of sealant is recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Run a similar setup on a 2002 mk2 as well but using a TF035 spinnybob.

I run stock ignition and has been fine at 15psi.

I run busa piston also. get new rings is my advice.

No spacer needed.

I did budget as well although to be honest I did not think Dave charged alot anyways for the work involved.

If its too new a picture the mods will zip it into oblivion. I'm just so pleased with the new paint! FLAKE MAN!

Mark

MVIMG_20191113_141713.jpg

• Like 13
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 11:30 AM, Fugly said:

What fairing is that Mark?

Bike looks great

Bandit 400 limited edition.

A couple of jap companies are remaking them now. One is called american dream at a frankly insane cost and I did find a 'classic knockoff company' making them somewhere as well but lost the details. They are a git to find. That much I do know!

Also thanks, I must admit I love the paint. It is bonkers

Mark