I,ve got a TL motor here, which I thought was an S, also an S ECU, but my throttle bodies are from an R 

cam position sensors, stator assembly, rotor assembly,  are the same for both models, does anyone know of any reason why I couldn,t use an R ECU , throttle bodies and loom on an S engine ?  

The only thing that might not fit is the plug of the gear Sensor, depends of the year your TLS engine is from. 97 and early 98 midels had a 2-pin plug, later ones a 3-pin like a TLR has. Bit easy to change, the additional wire is a ground cable.
You also need TLR intake rubbers to fit the TLR throttle bodies.
Thats it.

the book of face says this  

You can plug in a TRE into that which helps with the running...

TLS rubber manifolds are smaller than the TLR units, good luck getting the screws out too, they’re more than often seized and made from cheese so a good whack to shock the threads and some penetrating oil helps.

TLS throttle bodies had only 1 injector per inlet where as TLR has 2 per pot, they’re also independent with the second injector coming into play as and when required for additional fuelling so using TLR throttle bodies and ECU with a TLS loom won’t work. You’ll need a TLR main loom if you want to use them.

In all honesty the TLS Throttle bodies and injectors are more than man enough unless you bore the motor to 1080.

You can use the TLR engine with the TLS loom,  ECU, and TLS throttle bodies and it works ok, TLR motors make a a tad more power but the cams are for Top-end running, TLS motors give  better mid-range some if it’s grunt you’re after the TLS motor is the better of the two.

if you need a TLS ECU and Throttle bodies give me a holler.

Ive got a 97 ‘00’ ECU for grabs.... That’s the pre-recall unit.... 

Give me a call if you wanna chat some stuff through.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, yantosh said:

I,ve got a TL motor here, which I thought was an S, also an S ECU, but my throttle bodies are from an R 

cam position sensors, stator assembly, rotor assembly,  are the same for both models, does anyone know of any reason why I couldn,t use an R ECU , throttle bodies and loom on an S engine ?  

Post a pic of the Oil filter area of your engine.

Can tell you if it’s an S or an R motor from that.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Matt-Man said:

You can plug in a TRE into that which helps with the running...

TLS rubber manifolds are smaller than the TLR units, good luck getting the screws out too, they’re more than often seized and made from cheese so a good whack to shock the threads and some penetrating oil helps.

TLS throttle bodies had only 1 injector per inlet where as TLR has 2 per pot, they’re also independent with the second injector coming into play as and when required for additional fuelling so using TLR throttle bodies and ECU with a TLS loom won’t work. You’ll need a TLR main loom if you want to use them.

In all honesty the TLS Throttle bodies and injectors are more than man enough unless you bore the motor to 1080.

You can use the TLR engine with the TLS loom,  ECU, and TLS throttle bodies and it works ok, TLR motors make a a tad more power but the cams are for Top-end running, TLS motors give  better mid-range some if it’s grunt you’re after the TLS motor is the better of the two.

if you need a TLS ECU and Throttle bodies give me a holler.

Ive got a 97 ‘00’ ECU for grabs.... That’s the pre-recall unit.... 

Give me a call if you wanna chat some stuff through.

we managed to fit the throttle bodies into the rubbers with a little heat and GT85, so possibly I have rubbers to suit them, they had been sitting for ten year or so . I,ll grab the ECU on Tue and try and confirm its model, is there any physical diff between the S & R ? 

all i need is a matching set of ECU , bodies and loom , trying to shoestring build 

thanks for your help

4 hours ago, yantosh said:

we managed to fit the throttle bodies into the rubbers with a little heat and GT85, so possibly I have rubbers to suit them, they had been sitting for ten year or so . I,ll grab the ECU on Tue and try and confirm its model, is there any physical diff between the S & R ? 

all i need is a matching set of ECU , bodies and loom , trying to shoestring build 

thanks for your help

TLS has an Oil Cooler and the take-offs are on the left and right side of the oil filter housing.

TLR has a water cooled heat exchanger that sits directly between the oil filter and the crank cases, it has 2 x pipes protruding.

The crankcases where on the TLS the oil cooler take-offs would be should be undrilled on the TLR.

Edited by Blubber
  • Like 1