Spitting

cheese monkey

Getting occasional carb spitting on idle and severely bad on small throttle openings. Just done the valves, they were tightish and are now on the loose side. It was present before but nowhere near as bad. Not sure what to do with it. I would hazard a guess the timing is off, but obviously I haven’t touched it. I suspect getting the tight valves may have been masking it? I will try a B12 cdi too, have been using the standard GSX750 but as it was running on load didn’t think it needed swapping. 

Also still got a fucking awful oil leak. Anyone make up lines for standard B12 coolers? 

14 hours ago, cheese monkey said:

How about the oil leak though? Pretty sure the union between the solid pipe and flex is gone. Anyone know anyone that makes them? Ive had second hand ones before and they're usually knackered.  Can get a new cooler kit but £££

If you take the stock hoses to a hydraulics place - Pirtek for example - they could make up complete new hoses, they will look 'industrial' but should be cheap enough!

3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

If you take the stock hoses to a hydraulics place - Pirtek for example - they could make up complete new hoses, they will look 'industrial' but should be cheap enough!

Got a Pirtek just down the road as it happens. Thought they only did commercial jobs but I will give them a call if I need to. 

I changed the plug well gaskets (thanks to more top advice on here) as it previously looked like it was leaking from around no3 ex. Fingers crossed that it was just left over oil mess heating up and running off last night. I pressure washed the front end last night which got rid of the worst of it and currently there’s no drips. 

Just got new caps on the carbs from Fowlers. Idles better now, spitting gone! The previous owner had left the bodge of hoses on from when he balanced them and I admit to ignoring them. Definitely running a bit warm so still probably a bit lean but I’m not too concerned, at least it’s significantly less likely to burn down now and I fucking hate messing about with carbs. It’s not going to be overly lean as it’s still on stock airbox but does have a can on  

I know this is all fairly pedestrian for this forum but always good advice and always good to write it down for others!

Edited by cheese monkey
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Foz said:

Carb sneezing is usually a sign of being lean. Quite a lot of bandit 12’s do it , usually a half turn out on the mixture screws sorts it

Thanks Foz, you’re right but I’ve sorted it. Major vacuum leak. 

Turns out with the oil leak I think I’ve fixed the top end one and caused another one by pressure washing the crap off the front of the engine. Doh. 99% sure the starter cover gasket has gone, must have gotten a little close with the jet.