Big block for road use

1260Pete1

What's the biggest blocks people have used on the road? I'm building a bike mainly for the drag strip but will use on the road also occasionally, I'm thinking of this 1500cc block, I'll be running a big custom made oil cooler with a fan fitted and full maxxecu and fuel injection so will be able to keep it fairly cool with fuel and ignition settings.

received_681205565621032.jpeg

• Like 1
On 11/18/2019 at 6:03 PM, Oilyspanner said:

The lack of fins/surface area will cause very hot running, the fins do a lot of the cooling  - oil is reluctant to release it's heat, although the big oil cooler helps a lot, you'd need one 4 to 5 times larger than a w/c radiator to cool an engine without fins. 

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, to be honest it will rarely be used o  the road and when it is it will be running spring pressure only and just plod around gently and definitely won't be sat in traffic

23 minutes ago, bluedog59 said:

Is there not enough meat in the block to mill some fins into ? Even shallow ones would massively increase the surface area. Would it be possible to fit a sandwich plate to the oil filter and run a small, electric water pump and rad ? Just a couple of ideas that may help.

I'm actually waiting for a reply back on that exact thing, hopefully some fins can be machined in.

9 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Not a very good picture but this was created for my turbo 1460, and it does still get hot but not ridiculous!

Turbobike2.JPG

Are you still running thr oil ways in the block? As I'll be external oil, if if gets too hot ill just use this motor for drag use and run a low comp 1216 on the street

Interestingly I recently witnessed a gsxr on the dyno where the owner got little enthusiastic and has two oil pressure gauges, one linked to oil pressure side and one linked to oil cooled side. The said oil cooled side does not read any pressure at all until real high revs and then about 5 psi. 

This really proves the point of what been saying all along and at last I have the proof not by hear say. 

Dont link the circuits.

1 hour ago, jonny1bump said:

Interestingly I recently witnessed a gsxr on the dyno where the owner got little enthusiastic and has two oil pressure gauges, one linked to oil pressure side and one linked to oil cooled side. The said oil cooled side does not read any pressure at all until real high revs and then about 5 psi. 

This really proves the point of what been saying all along and at last I have the proof not by hear say. 

Dont link the circuits.

exactly. What's going to generate the pressure in the cooling circuit other than the diameter of the pipes and passage ways.