GS1000 chain conversion

Reinhoud

Gents,

I'm thinking of putting a smaller chain on the 1000, anyone who has done this before? Did you notice any difference in performance? Or a more smooth running of the chain?

I'm a pretty clueless regarding this, so all information is welcome.

The amount of teeth on the sprockets changes too, doesn't it?

I do have an off set sprocket on the front, and I'd like to keep the stock ratio, can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Edited by Reinhoud

I put a 530 and then a 520 chain on my old gs1000 when I put a 5.5 gsxr rear wheel in it. Didn't notice any change in the running. 

the sprockets on both sizes are smaller in diameter than the standard 630.

As to number of teeth xD I asked the same question and started a big argument O.o between two or more of the OSS people (sorry about that :D) so I ended up putting the same number of teeth sprockets on which seemed about right but I would think next time I'd up the rear by 2 teeth as it seemed a bit sluggish off the line mostly with the 520  the 530 did not feel that bad.

Just so you know, I put the 520 in just to give that but more clearance and that (I'm told) depends on what make of chain you use? Always DID.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Reinhoud said:

That worries me a bit, I thought that a 520 chain could handle enough power, but when I look at that chart it looks like I better keep my 630 chain..

As a supplier they have to be conservative in their recommendations - plenty on here use 520 chain on 130+hp bikes and I have a 530 chain with 370hp - I just have to change it a bit more frequently LOL!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

As a supplier they have to be conservative in their recommendations - plenty on here use 520 chain on 130+hp bikes and I have a 530 chain with 370hp - I just have to change it a bit more frequently LOL!

On a serious note, how often do you put a new chain on?

I checked my chain the other day, and with only 7000km on it, it had a lot of clearence on the links... It is a Regina (got it from the local Suzuki dealer) I've heard this is not a good quality chain..

If I am reading these tensile charts correctly,

RK chain 

ultra XW ring

630GSV 11300 LBS/per ft

520GXW 8800 LBS/per ft

JT chain

520 HDS 4020 kgf   =  29076 LBS/per ft.

I have used RK 630 and have been very happy with them, have never used a JT chain but if the tensile strength is accurate they seem VERY strong.

I'll see if I can find DID brand for tensile strength.

Cheers Andrew.

9 minutes ago, GSX1100dreamn said:

If I am reading these tensile charts correctly,

RK chain 

ultra XW ring

630GSV 11300 LBS/per ft

520GXW 8800 LBS/per ft

JT chain

520 HDS 4020 kgf   =  29076 LBS/per ft.

I have used RK 630 and have been very happy with them, have never used a JT chain but if the tensile strength is accurate they seem VERY strong.

I'll see if I can find DID brand for tensile strength.

Cheers Andrew.

Here is DID chain,

The best 520 on this chart is,

DID VM 520 G/B 8050 lbs.

Maybe the conversion for the JT chains is not correct but again they seem atleast twice as strong as anything else. methinks the conversion is a bit apples and oranges.

I'll see if I can find a different conversion table.

Edited by GSX1100dreamn
typo
1 minute ago, GSX1100dreamn said:

Here is DID chain,

The best 520 on this chart is,

DID VM 520 G/B 8050 lbs.

Maybe the conversion for the JT chains is not correct but again they seem atleast twice as strong as anything else. methinks the conversion is a bit apples and oranges.

I'll see if I can find a different conversion table.

Sorry here is the DID list,

https://www.supersprox.com/did-chains/

Edited by GSX1100dreamn
typo

Had a 520 in the gsx1100f powered Kat (and I don't keep the revs down ;)) for about 2 summers now, had the standard new chain adjustment first rides but then it settled down and is still looking ok for one more summer.

If you're worried about putting a 520 on and you have the room use a 530. I think (may be wrong on this) some of the new gsxr1000 use 520 chains.