1980 GSX750 & 1100 Carb Rebuilding Advice

Russ750ET

I'd like to get the OEM carbs from both my 1980 GSX750 and 1100 vapour blasted as both sets are looking dull and murky and letting the bikes down a bit.

I've got a good local contact for the vapour blasting, and would like to do the disassembly and re assembly myself to save cash.

I'm just looking to get some info on this if possible before I go tearing into them. What is generally needed in order to do a full carb strip and rebuild? Does anyone sell a kit for these carbs? Anything in particular to look out for with these carbs etc? Cheers!

received_2541493529406075.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CockneyRick said:

Also anyone worth their salt would know that vapour blasting works but leaves lots of superfine sand/grit hidden everywhere inside!

Soda blast uses Soda (shocker!) that disolves in water & is a much better option. 

Agreed - but seriously, use of ANY abrasive media inside a carb is mad! Abrasives make small holes bigger so best avoided - non destructive ultrasonic's is the safest way IMO!

3 hours ago, gs7_11 said:

Not true.

Vapour blasting will not do any harm and removes no metal.

Removing the media is easy and it's water-borne, so comes out easily with a water flush and a blow through.

Lots of firms out there offering vapour blasting on carbs.

Unfortunately true - check out vapour blasting definition . . . . . it's using abrasive media in a fluid as opposed to air with traditional blasting. Soda is used with air and as it is water soluble it can't be used in a vapour process! You can use lighter / softer medium with vapour that can clean softer metals, even painted fabrics, but it is still abrasive or it wouldn't clean and IT needs cleaning out, hence the advantages of ultrasonic fizzy water. Any abrasive doesn't distinguish between dirty metal or clean metal and if hard enough it won't just remove dirt!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Just thought I'd follow up on this thread... took a while but I finally got round to getting the carbs from the GSX1100 rebuilt.

I followed the guide posted by BigT and it made the process very straight forward and easy. The carbs were in a bit of a state so I'm glad I did give them an overhaul. 

I did go down the vapour blast route and so far, I am very glad I did! I used Factory Finish Vapour Blasting, and the results were fantastic, the carbs have come up like new.

To ensure the carbs and internals were totally spotless I invested in an Ultrasonic Cleaner (E bay £55 and it works a treat!), each carb went in for an hour with just straight forward fairy liquid and it was impressive how much crud came out. 

I'm just waiting for some parts to come back from plating then I can gang them back together and re fit. I'll be sure to get the carbs vacuum synced to complete to overhaul. I'll report back again after that's done, I'm looking forward to seeing how the bike runs, fingers crossed really well!

received_647683985772169.jpeg

FB_IMG_1580492947442.jpg

Edited by Russ750ET
  • Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Carbs built up and back on the bike.

What a faff these are to get back on with the stock airbox! 

Bike started up relatively easy and sounds smooth. Was easy to find a smooth idle and the engine seems to pick up a bit quicker now. I imagine having the floats all set evenly to spec and the pilot screws adjusted equally has helped this, as they were all over the place before.

Could be a while before I can get the bike on the road with this weather but I'm confident the carb rebuild has done it some good.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 5
On 2/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, BigT said:

Russ, 

a few details, please

Did you ultrasonic clean before, or after, vapor blasting?

Did you find any residual grit in the carbs after vapor blasting?

Just checking because there's so many opinions here

I gave the carbs a quick scrub before vapour blasting to remove the worst of the grime etc.  I did the ultrasonic clean after the vapour blasting. There was a small amount of the blast media in the tank after the cleaning cycle but not a silly amount. Between using the ultrasonic cleaner and good go through with the air gun I had the carbs spotless prior to rebuilding. 

I would personally recommend vapour blasting for carbs. For really rough, dirty carbs, the results are 100X better than you could ever get with just cleaners and a brush. 

• Like 1