Larger oil coooler, GS1150

Spirit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to all on this - some of it was really useful. Here's my reality: I live in the Greater New York City area. A trip to Long Island (club meeting) which used to take me 50 minutes now takes a minimum of one hour, 15 minutes...or more. Sometimes the better part of two hours.Traffic volumes in my area have about doubled in the last ten years. Sometimes it isn't even stop and go: it's stop. That doesn't even include the rare run INTO New York City. Then, the 1150 is my "touring" bike, the only one on which I do two-up, and I don't fruit around on my rides. The standard cooler does well. The fact is, though, that I have a nice, spare cooler from my '86 GSXR1100 (put an Earl's 16 row-wide on it after a bit of a performance upgrade...) and that will go on the 1150. There won't really be a problem with warm-up time: our summers here have had way too many 90 degree (F) days for me anyway.  But since I have dual oil temp gauges on the GS, I know that temps inside can get pretty high...they are actually the best reason for a top-end oiling system. Not so much for extreme high performance, but to reduce the wear on rockers and top end parts in daily use..

From above all I can add is - why are you sitting in traffic? You have a bike not a car - filter or avoid traffic!

Even a huge cooler will be of little use if stationary or crawling speed - any cooler needs airflow! Oil technology is far better than in the 80's , far more heat tolerant and i'm sure the factory stress tested these engines far more, for far longer than you think you are doing.

13 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

From above all I can add is - why are you sitting in traffic? You have a bike not a car - filter or avoid traffic!

Even a huge cooler will be of little use if stationary or crawling speed - any cooler needs airflow! Oil technology is far better than in the 80's , far more heat tolerant and i'm sure the factory stress tested these engines far more, for far longer than you think you are doing.

Avoid traffic in the New Jersey / New York area is damn near impossible, and filtering is illegal, not that it stops the daring from doing so. 

On 12/15/2019 at 3:59 AM, Gixer1460 said:

I thought you were 'the land of the free' ? Not when it comes to Highways obvs!

It's a mixed bag over here in the US.  50 different states with 50 different sets of laws.  I have never been to Montana, but I understand it to have the least restrictive rules of the road.  Last I heard, in New Jersey, you're not allowed to pump your own fuel.

6 hours ago, Poldark said:

Last I heard, in New Jersey, you're not allowed to pump your own fuel.

Yeap it has to be dispensed for you  :tu ...which if you are a tourist is so much easier than the self service credit card pumps in other states that wont accept your non US registered card....  :( 

Edited by Duckndive

Two things: first, one of the previous posts is correct, it is against the law to lane split or anything like it in NY, and that includes trickling between stopped cars in traffic jams. Not only that, but to put it mildly, you may get some recoil from cage drivers in traffic, up to and including people opening doors to keep you from passing through, and outsiders may keep comments on that to themselves, that's just our reality until the law is changed.

Second, I am going to use the cooler off my '86 GSXR1100 on my 1150. I know oil technology has improved. Traffic volumes in my region have DOUBLED in the last ten years as well, and we've had some fiendishly hot summers (and recently, Springs..) so a bigger cooler can't be a bad thing, especially two-up. Thanks to all for the tech stuff. By the way, I replaced the stock GSXR cooler with an Earl's 16 row wide cooler AND a top end oiling kit AND moved the temperature sender I had in the upper oil galley to the threaded spot in the oil pan. We'll see if over cooling" is a problem, though I doubt it will be!