running one big air filter instead of 4 airpods

has anyone ever tried or thought of running a air filter on the second half of ur airbox to make space in ur frame for whatever or weight savings it sounds like people wouldve thought about this before but i dont wanna mess with how my air flow works i know that the airbox is designed a specific way. it just sounds like a sweet middle of a full box and the pods if it goes the way it does in my head that u wont lose any power band if the carbs arent synced correctly and ur getting a shorter distance for airlflow and more direct. heres what the airbox looks like the air filter would go in the big hole on the piece that conects to carbs, it is an oval shaped hole so id have to do something with fitment                                              

Image result for 1982 suzuki gs650gl airboxImage result for 1982 suzuki gs650gl airbox

6 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

If you can't make it run successfully as stock  - what chance have you got modifying it?

fuk u its bout to be up in a couple days everythings been clean in carb cleaner and rinsed in hot water and im boutta do it again just before i get the gaskets 

Edited by v-twinwalker

Read it again - there are far more experienced modders on here with lots of threads regarding carb modification / air filter issues and with your own self proclaimed limited experience, my statement is justified - prove me wrong! When you do your modification - nothing wrong with it BTW - but what will you do when it won't rev over 5000 rpm? 

• Like 1

For some GS models, there are aftermarket air filters (K&N maybe others) that fit in the same place as the stock filter.  Large portions of the stock airbox the filter sits in could be carefully cut away to expose the filter.  That route could create a custom look.  Some electrical components may need to be relocated.  I would not expect any significant performance gains. 

Pod filters are simple and look great but they are really only optimum at full throttle race conditions.  Stock air systems are the best set up for normal street riding, but stock just looks boring.  Pod filters on CV carbs can be very annoying at times.  I have run pods on CV's but it was more about looks than function.