New Rectifier Regulator Efe

akronos

4 hours ago, Ibbo said:

Theres plenty of warnings on the net about the alleged mosfet ones, enough to put me off any way.

Yours is the first i've seen! How are they 'alleged' Mosfet? It's true the older Shunt type RR's are inefficient and tend to have limited lifespans but a Mosfet unit should provide far better regulation and reliability?

11 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:
15 hours ago, Ibbo said:

Theres plenty of warnings on the net about the alleged mosfet ones, enough to put me off any way.

Yours is the first i've seen! How are they 'alleged' Mosfet? It's true the older Shunt type RR's are inefficient and tend to have limited lifespans but a Mosfet unit should provide far better regulation and reliability?

Hi, its possibly not something youve been looking for, but heres a few i found with a quick search.

Theres enough to make me think that the cheap new ones arent worth the risk when mosfets seem to last for ages.

Mike

http://www.roadstercycle.com

https://www.f650.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-41130.html

1 hour ago, Ibbo said:

Hi, its possibly not something you've been looking for, but here's a few i found with a quick search.

as you surmise - not something i've been looking for LOL! I was aware of the linked web site and although i've suffered a few RR failures i've never felt the need to replace a shunt RR with a Mosfet type, but cheap 'new' ,likely Chinese made units wouldn't be my first preference no matter how cheap!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Dezza said:

The OEM units are all probably made in China too. The cheap ones are only available as western tight-arses ask them to make such stuff:)

People seem to think where it's made is the issue, but it's not the issue is one of specification and quality control.

Chinese companies (like most others) will make whatever they're asked to by the companies requesting the goods. The usual process involves an original specification and a quality control standard to ensure that the spec is maintained through production. So it makes no difference if it's made in China for Bosch, Apple, Suzuki or Ripoff & Leggit they will get what they ask for, and by and large the end user will get what they pay for.

You can pay £20 for a knock-off, or £70 for an OEM spec. You don't need to be an electrical engineer to work out which will last longest and which will have a warranty back up if it fails.

"You pays your money, you takes your choice."

200.gif

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, imago said:

People seem to think where it's made is the issue, but it's not the issue is one of specification and quality control.

You can pay £20 for a knock-off, or £70 for an OEM spec. You don't need to be an electrical engineer to work out which will last longest and which will have a warranty back up if it fails.

The suspicion is that they are made in the same factory but you pay £50 for one with an OEM spec sticker. I have no idea if that's true myself but it often baffles me how much the OEM ones are for what is a pretty simple piece of elctrickery.

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

The suspicion is that they are made in the same factory but you pay £50 for one with an OEM spec sticker. I have no idea if that's true myself but it often baffles me how much the OEM ones are for what is a pretty simple piece of elctrickery.

I would guess the electrical tolerances should be 'tighter' with an OEM unit so requiring better components to avoid / minimise failure risk and obviously the knock on risk of a warranty claim? Usually if OEM, the quality control is higher so rejection rate automatically raises the per unit cost? Can't back any of that up but seems logical to me - bit like a set of pistons from 'Whoflungdung' @ £200 against a set from 'Wiseco' @ £600 - which would you trust?

Correct.

You get what you pay for. Electronic components are available in different quality levels just like anything else.

PCBs,  resistors, capacitors, diodes, ICs etc etc can all be had as good quality or cheap rubbish, together with build quality levels, and test/reject procedures.

It's nothing to do with where it's made. The Chinese make whatever they're asked to supply, as was said.

They're great, however, at making things which look like far more expensive things!

• Like 1
On 12/21/2019 at 5:48 PM, Gixer1460 said:

Can't back any of that up but seems logical to me - bit like a set of pistons from 'Whoflungdung' @ £200 against a set from 'Wiseco' @ £600 - which would you trust?

I'm not disageeing that quality costs, just that because you pay more, you automatically get better quality.

Example: Many people would buy a Sony TV over an LG TV because they peceive it to be better quality TV, it also costs twice as much. But for many years LG made Sony TVs. If you took the back off a Trinitron it was all LG components.

Same with Apple moniters, which are made by a number of other companies including Samsung, who market alongside Apple with a cheaper but internally identical product.

However, because of the marketing, there's a whole bunch of people who would never buy an LG TV or a non-Apple moniter.

So my point, just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's worse, just because its more doesn't mean it's better. These days more and more prodcts are made around the world in the same factories with different sticker on and different prices.

For the record, I do run Wiseco pistons :D

We're not talking about Samsung vs. LG though.

We're talking about a high quality Japanese brand (or similar) versus a Copy that costs 10-20% as much.

(Both might be made in China, by the way, but that's totally irrelevant.)

Thinking that things must be the same because they look roughly the same on the outside is exactly what they want you to do! A few things might be, the vast majority aren't.

• Like 1

lets also remember that gs/gsx reg recs failed mostly because of the fucking insane way that suzuki chose to wire them as stock with two phases direct to the alternator and  a single phase through the lightswitch. if youre fitting a new reg rec but leaving the phases configured as suzuki designed then youre just saving up trouble for another day.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, johnr said:

lets also remember that gs/gsx reg recs failed mostly because of the fucking insane way that suzuki chose to wire them as stock with two phases direct to the alternator and  a single phase through the lightswitch. if youre fitting a new reg rec but leaving the phases configured as suzuki designed then youre just saving up trouble for another day.

Any hints on the correct way? :tu

run all three output phases from the alternator directly into all three input phases on the reg rec, dont worry about colours, theyre unimportant, reg rec will just have 3 yellow inputs, use them in any order. disconnect the loop that goes to the switch and stick pins inn a voodoo doll of suzukis wiring designer, fucker deserves all the pain he gets...

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, johnr said:

run all three output phases from the alternator directly into all three input phases on the reg rec, dont worry about colours, theyre unimportant, reg rec will just have 3 yellow inputs, use them in any order. disconnect the loop that goes to the switch and stick pins inn a voodoo doll of suzukis wiring designer, fucker deserves all the pain he gets...

xD xD :D Thanks.  That made me laugh!