Gs with 6inch wide rear wheel?

Customgs

Which gs? 

like most things, anything can be done, you'd have to get a swing arm to take the 6" rim then cut some of the frame away for chain run and use a spaced front sprocket .

Can be and has been done.

shaft drive frames (gs850/1000) with a chain drive motor put in, have more chain run room ;)

8 hours ago, wraith said:

Which gs? 

like most things, anything can be done, you'd have to get a swing arm to take the 6" rim then cut some of the frame away for chain run and use a spaced front sprocket .

Can be and has been done.

shaft drive frames (gs850/1000) with a chain drive motor put in, have more chain run room ;)

I have an 81 gs550 with a teapot 600 motor. I would like to monoshock the bike and use a swingarm from an 06 gsxr1000 which have roughly the same swingarm pivot width. So instead of cutting some out, could you heat the frame and dent the frame for chain run clearance?  Or would that weaken the frame?

16 hours ago, Customgs said:

I have an 81 gs550 with a teapot 600 motor. I would like to monoshock the bike and use a swingarm from an 06 gsxr1000 which have roughly the same swingarm pivot width. So instead of cutting some out, could you heat the frame and dent the frame for chain run clearance?  Or would that weaken the frame?

Some of the OSS family are doing/done a oil cooled motor in a gs550 frame in the projects section, so may be worth a look ;) but I would not try heating/denying the frame, you would not need to take that much off if you also go down to a 520 pitch chain and sprockets, trim some meat off the sprocket carrier and you may find you only need to remove 3-4 mm max out of the frame and reweld a plate in.

As K.H.I says (like a lot of use) your not a pour air cooled BUT you're not a pour oil cooled :D I've got a katana (air cooled type) but with a oil cooled motor a gsx1100et with a oil cooled motor and a gs1000 and yes a air cooled motor xD I suppose we should have a hybrid section ;)

Edited by wraith
  • Like 1

there are a few options for fitting a 6” wheel inside the frame rails of a GS...... channeling for the chain run or widening the pivot area ..... there is no other way to get a 6” wheel like machining hubs and such.... to be centered .....just physically impossible in a stock ffame .

219D121A-7B19-46C7-AD72-DFA5DD9194E8.jpeg

9200D35C-4D10-4C73-B46A-3B108D3D5FB4.jpeg

21E4A231-20B1-43C0-A762-EC475C36C648.jpeg

C6290200-F7F0-4952-9E64-FE7470C3DB89.jpeg

• Like 2

Customgs,

First, I am curious as to why you want to run a 6 inch wheel.  Is there any other purpose than "it looks cool"?  In the setup you want to run (600 engine in gs550 frame) an extra fat wheel and tire will hurt performance more than it would help.  The fat wheel and tire has a lot of inertia to overcome to get it to start spinning.  The stock 600 engine does not put out a lot of torque.  A larger, heavier bike with a large, high output engine would benefit from from the wide tire with it's greater traction. 

That's my mechanical engineering thought process; if anyone else has real world experience that differs, please share.

• Like 2
On 10/11/2019 at 4:03 PM, Poldark said:

Customgs,

First, I am curious as to why you want to run a 6 inch wheel.  Is there any other purpose than "it looks cool"?  In the setup you want to run (600 engine in gs550 frame) an extra fat wheel and tire will hurt performance more than it would help.  The fat wheel and tire has a lot of inertia to overcome to get it to start spinning.  The stock 600 engine does not put out a lot of torque.  A larger, heavier bike with a large, high output engine would benefit from from the wide tire with it's greater traction. 

That's my mechanical engineering thought process; if anyone else has real world experience that differs, please share.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:48 AM, CockneyRick said:

Whilst getting a 6" rim in may be nigh on impossible, even if you did the rubber on it will most likely give you even more issues inc the above!

Not a lot in it, but try a 5.5" instead ;) 

I will most likely do the 5.5 because it does look like less hassle. I am only running a 600 now, but future plan include a 1200 bandit motor as soon as I find one that's cheap enough. I will admit it would mainly be for looks, I couldn't see much difference in handling in a 5.5 vs 6 inch wheel. Running a slightly taller tire would cause a quicker tip in would it not? 

I've got a 180 tyre on a 5.5 rim in gs550 frame with an oil cooled engine .  Even though the frame has had material removed around the chain and on sprocket carrier , to get the 520 chain to clear the tyre things are not straight .   I might go to a 5 inch rim and 160 tyre to get a straight chain run and decent life out of my chainset.  Maybe I need an offset front sprocket to bring things inboard a touch more ,  not sure there's even room for that , hope this info helps 

• Like 1
On 10/20/2019 at 4:08 PM, richyrich said:

I've got a 180 tyre on a 5.5 rim in gs550 frame with an oil cooled engine .  Even though the frame has had material removed around the chain and on sprocket carrier , to get the 520 chain to clear the tyre things are not straight .   I might go to a 5 inch rim and 160 tyre to get a straight chain run and decent life out of my chainset.  Maybe I need an offset front sprocket to bring things inboard a touch more ,  not sure there's even room for that , hope this info helps 

Out of curiosity, what rear wheel are you using, and are you using the stock swingarm?