1100 slabside - oil pressure release valve

Dezza

The sump of the 1100 slabside has in it an oil pressure release valve, whereas as far as I am aware, the sumps of the 1100 slingshots and Blandit 1200s do not. Can the valve be removed from the sump? Can it be removed if fitted to e.g. a 1200 Blandit engine but not to an 1100 slabby? It appears to me that if it sticks it could cause an oil starvation problem so this is why I ask. Cheers for any input:)

Slingy's have them too up to 92 if your talking about this valve

93 - gsx1100F

97 - gsx600-750f

image.png.f2b40a31f7f0836ab69db93f5d39b9a6.png

Appears after 98 oil cooled didn't use them, it is an over pressure relief valve for "supposedly" when the oil is cold and thicker, which closes when oil is hot  if taken out, oil would bypass the cooler all the time and perhaps after 97 they just relied on the pressure regulator, so if the pan has one then the "slug and spring" should be in there. Bandit or post 97 GSXF sumps could be fitted to earlier models but not the other way round if the valve is removed.

My take!

Edited by Lachie04
  • Like 1

Yes, you are correct. The earler slingshots had them too. On the Robinsons parts fische it has the same bits for the 1100k,l. The Blandit 1200s don't though. So what happens when fitting slabside sump to Blandit engine? Remove oil plunger thingy? The bits are 23 and 24 (top diagram is 1100 slabby, bottom is 1200 Blandit)

sump_slab.jpg

Sump_blandit.jpg

Edited by Dezza

I'm just going through this in reverse with the Bandit sump on a 91 GSXR. As far as I can see there is a permanent bypass that has been throttled down on the bandit sump (with a jet or rather a very small aperture). However, there is a part of that return that does not match the GSXR 91 and 92 bottom end that appears to need blocking off otherwise the main feed through and just past the regulator dumps pressure straight back to the sump and there's very little flow through the cooler. I'm in the process of refitting the sump to check whether it cures the temperature problems.

My view is that with your situation, you can just swop in the GSXR sump pre91, and the only difference is that there is not a permanent by-pass of the filer. This comes in when the pressure pushes the plunger back, and allows oil to flow through the by-pass. I assume this was there to protect against the eventuality that the filter is bunged up and creates a situation where oil doesn't flow well, and pressure increases.

2 hours ago, Solcambs said:

I'm just going through this in reverse with the Bandit sump on a 91 GSXR. As far as I can see there is a permanent bypass that has been throttled down on the bandit sump (with a jet or rather a very small aperture). However, there is a part of that return that does not match the GSXR 91 and 92 bottom end that appears to need blocking off otherwise the main feed through and just past the regulator dumps pressure straight back to the sump and there's very little flow through the cooler. I'm in the process of refitting the sump to check whether it cures the temperature problems.

My view is that with your situation, you can just swop in the GSXR sump pre91, and the only difference is that there is not a permanent by-pass of the filer. This comes in when the pressure pushes the plunger back, and allows oil to flow through the by-pass. I assume this was there to protect against the eventuality that the filter is bunged up and creates a situation where oil doesn't flow well, and pressure increases.

So the plunger could be removed from a sump that has one regardless of whether the sump is fitted to a GSXR or a Blandit engine, as long as the oil and filter are maintained correctly?

11 hours ago, Dezza said:

So the plunger could be removed from a sump that has one regardless of whether the sump is fitted to a GSXR or a Blandit engine, as long as the oil and filter are maintained correctly?

image.png.eb6d2e786ac977fe028a3c606c9cf9a2.png

image.png.0b3f6276d998522d087a1b156905e558.png

So if you take it out then you will end up with a permanent (@ 10mm) bypass of the oil cooler, and reduced cooling.

if it works or not will not result in any oil restrictions as it bypasses directly into the inlet of the oil filter later models replace the relief valve with a permanent (@ 1mm) metered bypass)

image.png.56781905e13fb0d37fe6fc8ba8c2d765.png

13 hours ago, Solcambs said:

image.thumb.png.c329b8525f9f83e3458bdff6354998da.png

The corresponding oilway in the lower case (well at least in my 750 89 case) is blocked so there is no way oil is going up (or down) there when the sump is bolted up to the case.

Edited by Lachie04
  • Like 1
On 10/5/2019 at 5:52 AM, Lachie04 said:

image.png.eb6d2e786ac977fe028a3c606c9cf9a2.png

image.png.0b3f6276d998522d087a1b156905e558.png

So if you take it out then you will end up with a permanent (@ 10mm) bypass of the oil cooler, and reduced cooling.

if it works or not will not result in any oil restrictions as it bypasses directly into the inlet of the oil filter later models replace the relief valve with a permanent (@ 1mm) metered bypass)

image.png.56781905e13fb0d37fe6fc8ba8c2d765.png

image.thumb.png.c329b8525f9f83e3458bdff6354998da.png

The corresponding oilway in the lower case (well at least in my 750 89 case) is blocked so there is no way oil is going up (or down) there when the sump is bolted up to the case.

I actually corresponds with a gallery that appears to be a return (perhaps from the filter) that drops into the sump - if it is not blanked off on my 1100M the oil after the pressure regulator that should flow into the cooler disappears up that channel - so oil doesn't get to the cooler in as much quantity.

• 1 year later...

hi guys, just to jump in on this with a question about sump oil ways on a bandit sump, on the blurry pic just up there........ if the oil cooler was connected to no4 and no2 on that side was plugged would it work and the pressure valve? in my mind it would have to, pressure is pressure and that area would be pressurised.

basically i need to do that on my chop and want to get some oppinions

cheers