Another homebrew

S8xor

Hi everyone, I have been meaning to post for a while as I bought a project last year and have finally got around to (money permitting) working on it. I don`t have any info on the frames origins but managed to spy it on a listing for a set of forks on fleabay, I messaged the guy and he said that he didnt think it would be of any interest to anyone and was going to scrap it. He said to come and have a look and he asked......... wait for it ......... £30 as that was its scrap value ! That included the tank and seat unit which are decent quality thick walled carbon (not the flimsy crap TYGA) that I have on my RS250.

Anyway a year goes by and as I am not in any rush I have been looking on flea and when something cheap comes up I have a cheeky punt.

The complete rearend is GSXR1100 89` i think with the obvious Metmachex "upgrade"

Frontend is an R6 08

I have also played around with the R1 07 setup as you can see.

Not sure if i want to keep the "original" tank but it just looks abit dated and rounded rather than the newer angular styling.

This will be a long road to rebuild but should be classed as a budget build so as and when.

Can anyone recommend a decent engine and engineering shop in Kent as I have a B12 engine already from a previous project (I will be using the frame/reg from this B12) but it needs abit of general work and damage repair to the lower part of the casing. I also have a 89` gsxr750 sitting in the garage so might go with this ?? thoughts. I also want to have a new removable R1 subframe grafted in. The very questionable welds around the headstock are in the process of being addressed but a good TIG welder friend (ground down and relayed).

Thanks for looking,

Dan

2.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_2980.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4245.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

• Like 3

Can't really complain for 30 quid!(y) What needs fixing on the B12 case? As with all things bike, use the people known to know what they are on about. They usually have a queue and therefore do not have a fast turnaround. Be suspicious of anyone who says: "Yes, I can do that straight away! " I have recently had good dealings with Ray Debben, Ringwood, Hants. Maybe someone here knows a place in London who can help though, which is probably a bit more convenient.

Thanks for the comments,

The budget is if I have the money it can get more shiny bits added, I was looking at about £1000 for and engine check and maybe a few dress up bits. As i am in no rush I will just look out for any bargains. If i set a strict and proper budget i will only be disappointed everytime I go over it and then the new one I set again. Great point on the new cases as I will prob be easier to move the internals over during the overhaul and replace the bits that are on the way out. 

I was looking at a company called Coba Valley Cycles based in Dorset, I sold a HUC frame last year and the buyer recommended them, does anyone have experience with them ? For the fab work (tank / subframe). Also anyone have experience with PHW (pointy hat wizard) based in Essex, again for fab work ? 

If anyone thinks this is "similar" to another frame out there let me know please, I know there are loads of oneoffs out there but worth a try.

I will keep you posted with any progress but may be a few months as I have like most too many projects with are forming a queue, and the YZ80 is next on the agenda.

• Like 1
On 9/19/2019 at 12:00 AM, S8xor said:

Thanks for the comments,

The budget is if I have the money it can get more shiny bits added, I was looking at about £1000 for and engine check and maybe a few dress up bits. As i am in no rush I will just look out for any bargains. If i set a strict and proper budget i will only be disappointed everytime I go over it and then the new one I set again. Great point on the new cases as I will prob be easier to move the internals over during the overhaul and replace the bits that are on the way out. 

I was looking at a company called Coba Valley Cycles based in Dorset, I sold a HUC frame last year and the buyer recommended them, does anyone have experience with them ? For the fab work (tank / subframe). Also anyone have experience with PHW (pointy hat wizard) based in Essex, again for fab work ? 

If anyone thinks this is "similar" to another frame out there let me know please, I know there are loads of oneoffs out there but worth a try.

I will keep you posted with any progress but may be a few months as I have like most too many projects with are forming a queue, and the YZ80 is next on the agenda.

for that kind of money you might be advised to give dave dunlop a call. He builds turbos but obviously can do a stripdown on a motor. Such things come down to trust of you want it done for you. Trust is worth paying extra for.

Mark

(also in kent!)

• 7 months later...