rear shock mounts

DC98

I'm in the process of preping my ET frame and one of the things I need to sort is the rear shock mount.

For some reason one of them has had a few mm of thread cut off and I'm not sure I'll get enough to bite on it when it comes to fitting everthing up.

What I'm thinking of doing is cutting the mounts back and then having them drilled and tapped so I can bolt the shocks up using M8 bolts. Does this sound like a wise thing to do, what other options are there.

shocks are better mounted on studs, not bolts.

With bolts the forces on the thread are quite big and it can start unscrewing itself, once it's a bit loose it breaks easily.
No such problems with studs. The nut at the end is just there for preventing the shock from moving sideways and the forces in that direction are almost zero.

HD's V-Rod is a good example of how it should not be done.

cut the remaining thread off the mount, make a small jig that slides over the mount with a hole in so you can use it to drill into the mount square and true. then drill to the required size, tap it and insert some threaded stud bar, with threadlock. cut the threaded bar off so you have the right length thread protruding from the mount. This is a mod that i have seen and done many times with success and no problems.

• Like 1