Intercooler thoughts

Mark

Hi guys

How much difference does an intercooler make?

How efficiently does it have to run to make an improvement and can it have a negative effect if not running optimum?

In short, can i run an underseat intercooler? Not chasing top performance, but dont want to hinder my set up, not going to lie... its for looks more than anything. But just a brainstorm at this point. . 

Appreciate the input.

Simple physics - the intercooler and its surrounding ambient air should be a cool as possible to achieve the highest transfer of heat whilst also providing the path of least resistance through the cooler for the boosted air and the cooling air.  The 2nd item is the tricky bit as the air needs to move slow enough to transfer / capture heat which can be done by restriction or large size. Size on a bike is critical and restriction is just inefficient. Putting an IC in the tail / under the seat violates the first premise above as it will be smaller, sitting in a hot (heat from engine) and low pressure air zone (lack of airflow) and it will also be remote from the turbo requiring longer pipe runs ie. large pipe / intake volume that needs to be filled and compressed till effect is felt - maybe milli secs but it does occur. Unless you are running a boost pressure of at least 1bar / 15psi the intake temps are mostly not sufficient to warrant an IC as the delta between ambient and boost air temp will be relatively low so that a degree or 2 off the timing will compensate. If you are chasing numbers then yes an IC will help but it need to be designed as a package and not an 'add-on' fitted where you have space!

Good answer thanks for the input..

Sounds like a no go.. i appreciate the airflow, i thought i aid this some how, but reading your answer im thinking the pipework would be too restrictive and i would probably need to be going quick to compensate for engine heat...

Not chasing the numbers, this was more a thought on the 'fighter' side of the build than the turbo side. Not trying to squeeze an IC in, but found a taller in/out at the bottom that would be a nice solution to my seat units undertray and sit just behind the plenum for pipework. Just a functional aesthetic idea. 

Appreciate the input.

I run an intercooler on mine, its has helped massively, saw a 20bhp power increase at 7psi by just pointing the two 25mph dyno fans close and directly at it. Also found i didnt have to arse about with any ignition retard at higher boost/revs. Also helps keep everything running nice and consistant and really reliable, i think my bike wouldnt last too long on a hot day doing full sesions around Cadwell. Personally I will always run one.