1100 Kat tacho

PaulDun

As I'm a complete electrickery luddite it doesn't take much to stump me :/
Now I've finally got the bike running the way it's supposed to I'm going to sort the less important but annoying issues out. Number one on my list is the lazy rev counter, it never reads over 4000rpm no matter what, it ticks over at an indicated 1000rpm and blipping the throttle hardly moves the needle.
So is my tacho goosed or can anyone throw any light on the subject.
Please bear in mind that electrickery really is a black art to me :oops:

The tacho has a wire to it that is connected to one of the output wires from the CDI unit. There could be a dodgy connection here, on the earth for the clocks or the unit is faulty. To eliminate a faulty clock, source an electronic tacho (I use one from a 600 teapot, £10 from autojumble) and connect the coil feed and earth, then start the bike. If the tacho works fine, your expensive, iconic, kat clocks are faulty and need someone who knows what they are doing to look at them. If the test tacho doesn't work correctly, then start delving into your wiring connections (including the earth to the clocks).:)

• Like 1