Looking for ideas inspiration GS 750 ??

Anyone got any ideas what to do with this ?

Can't make my mind up.

1977 GS 750 d

I only have what you see in the pics frame,wheels,engine,carbs motard exhaust got it all for £120 can't decide whether to restore and rebuild what I have or fit another engine and carbs front end and different swingarm.

Im hoping to do all the work myself other than the frame, powder coating.

And hope to have it done by next September.

Any input ideas appreciated.

IMG_20190909_145641.jpg

IMG_20190909_145657.jpg

IMG_20190909_145650.jpg

IMG_20190909_145707.jpg

IMG_20190909_145731.jpg

Cams look a bit rusted?

I think first thing are if motor turns over and will be a runner.

Next how deep are your pockets? With what you have a full restore will not be cheep to do a good job, you could do a cheep streetbike, swing arm/front end keep a eye open for body work and go ever air cooled or oil cooled if the 750 is a no go gs1000/gsx1100 will go in if you can find a good one, or gsx750f b6 or b12 or gsxr 750/1100 

34 minutes ago, wraith said:

Cams look a bit rusted?

I think first thing are if motor turns over and will be a runner.

Next how deep are your pockets? With what you have a full restore will not be cheep to do a good job, you could do a cheep streetbike, swing arm/front end keep a eye open for body work and go ever air cooled or oil cooled if the 750 is a no go gs1000/gsx1100 will go in if you can find a good one, or gsx750f b6 or b12 or gsxr 750/1100 

Yeah the cams are rusty been sitting in a shed for years with no cam cover also engine doesn't turn over.Probably easier to just fit another engine just not sure which is the easiest to fit.

Edited by Stevemilne750
Missing word

A gs750 xD

Seriously, a gs1000 goes in with out much work (some say straight in and use the same engine mounts some say you need to mod the front mounts) but then engines are hard to find these days. Most of the air cooled motor will go in with small mods gsx750et/gsx1100et/ gsx1100 efe.

Or go oil cooled with new engine mounts any of them will fit. B6 is the cheapest option then the gsx750f but much more fun to ride, then the gsxr1100 or b12. A easy job to do and lots of info on here as it's been done quite a lot.

1 hour ago, K.H.I said:

At £120 you already have a cheap bike, why not throw some time and money into the proper lump? Job satisfaction and all that jazz.

Was thinking of doing that if I could get a hold of a complete head get the barrels rebored new pistons and rings and the rest of the engine just needs a good clean/degrease as when I opened it up it does seem like a fairly basic engine to work on.

• Like 1