GSX750W B12

Hardassfunk

I did the conversion this year with a mk2 B12 but went for dual pods with a stage 3 DJ kit and dyno setup.

If I knew there was an easier way to get it running with airbox I might've gone for that as a first step and saved a bit of expense, but can't complain with the result, making a pretty useable ~115bhp. Cheesemonkey also did a mk2 and modded the stock airbox to suit I think. I was going to write up my project at some point - it's definitely more straightforward using the mk1 engine, I think the harnesses etc match up easier.

You mention needing a fuel tap, if it's the clearance you need, you can space the back of the tank up a little and get enough room, it's barely noticeable. I understand people use a Fazer as a replacement in some cases as well.

• Like 2
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:32 PM, Shill said:

I did the conversion this year with a mk2 B12 but went for dual pods with a stage 3 DJ kit and dyno setup.

If I knew there was an easier way to get it running with airbox I might've gone for that as a first step and saved a bit of expense, but can't complain with the result, making a pretty useable ~115bhp. Cheesemonkey also did a mk2 and modded the stock airbox to suit I think. I was going to write up my project at some point - it's definitely more straightforward using the mk1 engine, I think the harnesses etc match up easier.

You mention needing a fuel tap, if it's the clearance you need, you can space the back of the tank up a little and get enough room, it's barely noticeable. I understand people use a Fazer as a replacement in some cases as well.

As only the right hand rail unbolts and the rear mounts are all welded where there any issues actually putting the engine in ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 10:25 AM, Duckndive said:

As only the right hand rail unbolts and the rear mounts are all welded where there any issues actually putting the engine in ?

It was a bit of a nightmare! I'm afraid I don't have any good advice really for this, it was a pain in the arse - each time the engine went in or out it was me and two mates supporting it and trying to wiggle it back and forth to get it around all the right points, with lots of swearing (we did it twice because I wanted to check the electrics etc were working before I committed to drilling the frame). The new lump is taller so it is a bit awkward. My process:

TAKE OFF THE BREATHER BOX ON TOP OF THE VALVE COVER! 

To get it out, removed the side rail, sat the engine on a trolley jack on a bit of wood, nudge it forward a little, sideways a little, until it comes free.
To get it in, laid the bike on its side on some old sofa cushions and sat the engine roughly in place, then lots of back and forth to get it located properly.

There was a load of it moving slightly, asking "Who's got the weight???" and the answer usually being it's caught on something and it's stuck. We also bashed the hell out of the coil mounts.

I guess the old hands have a better method or knack, I don't know if the Zuma is more awkward than other transplants or if I just don't have the feel for it, but it was not an elegant process. Also we were in a small garage with minimal tools and lighting, so if you have a good place to work it's probably easier!

Edited by Shill
5 hours ago, Shill said:

It was a bit of a nightmare! I'm afraid I don't have any good advice really for this, it was a pain in the arse - each time the engine went in or out it was me and two mates supporting it and trying to wiggle it back and forth to get it around all the right points, with lots of swearing (we did it twice because I wanted to check the electrics etc were working before I committed to drilling the frame). The new lump is taller so it is a bit awkward. My process:

TAKE OFF THE BREATHER BOX ON TOP OF THE VALVE COVER! 

To get it out, removed the side rail, sat the engine on a trolley jack on a bit of wood, nudge it forward a little, sideways a little, until it comes free.
To get it in, laid the bike on its side on some old sofa cushions and sat the engine roughly in place, then lots of back and forth to get it located properly.

There was a load of it moving slightly, asking "Who's got the weight???" and the answer usually being it's caught on something and it's stuck. We also bashed the hell out of the coil mounts.

I guess the old hands have a better method or knack, I don't know if the Zuma is more awkward than other transplants or if I just don't have the feel for it, but it was not an elegant process. Also we were in a small garage with minimal tools and lighting, so if you have a good place to work it's probably easier!

Thanks for the info :tu

I think I,ll go down the sump and pick up off, cam cover off and bare frame route.... O.o