GSXR750H/1100H/1100J Front axle options Info

Macduff

TLDR GSF600 front axles circa 2000 fits and can use GSF 600 spacers and a M16 1.5 pitch locknut 

After I posted a wanted ad for the above and finding that there are probably are rare as hens teeth on their own ie not attached to forks, though most of these forks seem to be sold without axles (hence my wanted ad) I did some digging into what might work as an alternate front fork/wheel axle  for the 750H or 1100H/J original 17mm axled forks.

The CMNSL parts fiches for these modles show the axles are NLA and don't list an updated part number so infer that these axles weren't used in other suzukis. I figured any 17mm axle of the correct length could work as long as it had nut on the end (as slabby forks use a separate nut not a threaded fork tube). and a search of fleabay found a few likely candidates, one seemed just about perfect as it had a Fixed Nut head , reasonable length and came with the original bikes spacers (but no Nut) 

This was the axle from a 2000 GSF600 this model uses 17mm axle with a threaded fork tube so no Nut, luckily its long enough to fit the (750H)slabby forks using an 1100J wheel (GSF600 ) Spacers and have enough thread to mount an M16 1.5 pitch Nut (ideally locking as there is no hole in the axle for a R-clip etc) . The GSF seems to use a spacer both side (no axle speedo drive) but handily this appears to be the same depth as a speedo drive would be as the fork centers were the same as my existing fitted slabby forks.  Good to know for those that want to loose the speedo drive and have a readily? available factory spacer. I'm waiting on a 17mm axle slabby speedo drive to arrive and will re-check the centres distance with that to be certain. 

Another possible axle candidate is the later 2005? on GSF600 but that uses a shoulder main end so will need to be clamped by the fork leg (with the clamp bolt/nut) and have the fork spacer tube removed- (axle shoulder and this tube appear to be same diameter) this option maybe less than ideal as most forks that use this type of axle have two bolts doing the axle clamp work so potential to flex under use with only the single bolt a slabby fork has. This axle also needs a separate nut M16 x1.5 as the GSF uses a threaded fork tube .

HTH those trying to fit the late model 17mm  axle slabby forks and are missing the original axles.  On mine it now means I can bolt in the 1100J wheels I  located sometime agon and have the widest factory 18" wheels the factory fitted to a Slabby for road use. :D bring on those Conti classic road race tyres!

Note trying to swap bearings to make 1100J wheels fit early slabby 15mmfront  axles is likely to be a no go as the bearing required isn't easily available and if it was likely to be a bit dodgy in a fast spinning motorbike wheel use (ie not the usual C3 spec used on Mbike wheel bearings) so spacer sleeve would be needed instead of bearing swaps IMO.

Edited by Macduff
TLDR option