Bandit 400 dash into Teapot 750 wiring harness

scott-s

Working on a project that has Teapot/GSX750F engine, suspension, etc, in a 1980 GS550 frame. I have '91 Bandit 400 gauges and idiot lights I plan on using.
I am now faced with mating the B400 wiring to the 750 harness.

The plugs are completely different. I have a wiring diagram for both and am studying what goes where. I will need back lights for the tach and speedo, a neutral light, oil pressure light, turn signal indicators and Hi-beam. I can forgo things like gas gauge, water temp, etc.

This the the Teapot 750 plug.

smidyzP.jpg

This is the Bandit 400 plug (notice the single Black/Yellow plug, too)

jC0gseS.jpg

Once I figure out the purpose/source for the B/Y on the Bandit 400 harness, I just need to get the same from the 750 harness and then find the corresponding wires for the oil pressure, hi-beam, N, turn, etc., right? If I'm correct, what's a good source for keyed power on the Teapot harness (2000 model)?

OK, that makes sense. And, on the 400 diagram, the BW (black/white) looks to be coming from the negative terminal of the battery, so it's an earth/ground?

Now I need to study the GSX750 diagram and see where they were getting the tach signal. That would go to the BY, correct? 

B/Y is for the tech and you should be able to plug that straight into the B/Y on the main harness, B/W is the earth/negative, yes O (orange) can be used a a power switch.

You may/will find extra wires, depending on which harness you have from the teapot, as the 2000 year on had a elc Speedo (think that's a pink wire) fuel gauge etc, the b4 was water cooled But the teapot was oil cooled so no water temp on that side.

as you know the plug from the cliche and from the harness will not match so buy a new plug and connectors and put that on in stead.

On the B400 there is a GREEN coming from the ignition switch and the headlight switch.  The only two colors going to the dash back lights are GREEN and BLACK/WHITE. The BW is battery negative (earth) , so the green is power..... keyed power, right? But the headlamp fuse goes to the ORANGE wire.

And on the B400, the PASS (passing flasher for headlight) it also looks to go from a GR to an OR wire. 

Am.i correct in thinking I need to supply power to the GREEN on the B400 dash for power for bulbs?

The 750 doesn't have an ON/OFF switch for the lights. On the 750, power is fed from a GREY wire and BW (earth).

A couple that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is why the Neutral light gets a Blue/Black (LB) from the side stand diode. Hafta figure out a source for that on the 750 harness.
And what the Orange/Green is for (OG). It runs from the RH switch, turn signal relay, turn signal fuse, etc.... is it just a fused power source?

I studied the 750 harness today and the wiring colors all seem to match.

I ordered a Bandit 400 wiring loom so I can use the correct male connector. 

I won't be using the side stand switch or clutch switch (this is all going in a GS550 frame). If I just use a jumper for those two switches, will the turn signal/side stand relay in the 750 harness still supply the correct power and ground to make the neutral light work?

36 minutes ago, no class said:

just un-pin the wires from the B4 block connector and  use the block connector from your existing harness.... no cutting / splicing or welding required

What he said: you can do this with those tiny little screwdrivers you get in sets from the pound shop or a special tool is available from the usual interwebs outlets.