Seized mixture screw

Johnnie

Buy a small ultrasonic cleaner, strip the carbs and split the bank. Run the problem carb through several heat cycles in some carb cleaning fluid or something that is mildly acidic. If that doesn't work, then you're basically buggered without resorting to some very accurate drilling.

Before trying anything drastic, heat is your friend, as is a good fitting screwdriver.  If that fails, and you haven't buggered the head up yet, give it regular doses of a good release oil (50/50 Acetone & Transmission fluid is worth trying) over a few days. Then give it another go. And welcome to OSS, by the way! ;)

Hi my name is Johnnie I enjoy long walks on the beach and volunteering at the local dog shelter. I'm a gender neutral vegan spiritualist. Its pleasure to meet your acquaintance.

I've done the two day soak in 50/50 thinners and gear oil. I was originally stripping the carbs to ready them for an ultrasonic bath. Maybe a run through the tank first might loosen it!

Thanks for the replies......

• Like 1

I usually get out the Drimel and use an engraver tip. I make the screw slot deeper, going down 3 or 4mm. Takes ages to do. Then I heat up the screw using a jet lighter and keep quenching with Plus-gas. Only then do I try turning the screw.  I do a lot of carb work. It's rare that I admit defeat but the odd mixture screw does fuse to the carb body with corrosion. I remember drilling a mixture screw once, the wall thickness couldn't have been any more than 0.2mm and still it wouldn't cave in away from the threads, proper fused in there.  

Had a stubborn one on a throttlebody.. kept it wet with penetration oil (fnarr) for I don't know how long.. days or something. Good fitting screwdriver and a good push/grip eventually got it out. Any chance of some double penetration action by using penetration oil on the other end of it too? Wish I had been that clever when getting mine out damnit..

7 hours ago, Johnnie said:

Hi my name is Johnnie I enjoy long walks on the beach and volunteering at the local dog shelter. I'm a gender neutral vegan spiritualist. Its pleasure to meet your acquaintance.

Welcome (y)

I like to hug trees, pet orphan sharks and save old Suzuki's from neglection whilst riding on my unicorn wearing my see-through latex bodysuit... ¬¬

ixxi-paul-fuentes-unicorn.jpg

• Like 4

I've tried soaking it. I've tried heat. I used a dremel to make the slot in the head deeper. I even tried shouting at it for 20 minutes. Still no joy. Next move is to strip everything and dump it in the ultra sonic bath. I'm trying to avoid drilling it out.

• Like 1

I had to do mates carb 3 good and  one stuck solid ? had to drill on mill what a pain very time consuming. Can't even use easy out as brass spreads and makes matters worse. Just have to drill  drill and drill some more in increments. Bad enough doing your own let alone getting talked into doing someone else's. Won't be doing that again

Edited by jonny1bump
1 minute ago, jonny1bump said:

I had to do mates carb 3 good one stuck solid had to drill on mill what a pain very time consuming. Can't even use easy out as brass spreads and makes matters worse. Just have to drill  drill and drill some more in increments. Bad enough doing your own let alone getting talked into doing someone else's. Won't be doing that again

I've ordered some left hand drill bits. I'll see how they go.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:04 PM, Captain Chaos said:

did you ask it nicely?

I'll offer it a gin and tonic after work.