Gs1000 forks ?

wraith

Ok, long story short,

I've put a set of gs1000 forks on my gs1000, replaced oil seals and put new SAE15 oil in. All felt ok but when I fitted them to the bike and put the bike back on its two wheels the forks dropped down to apx 3" of travel and when riding it this goes down to apx 1" O.o 

It dose not bottom out when riding and apart from the low front end seems to ride not to bad all in all????

I've ordered some new progressive fork springs in case the springs are way past there use.

Any other ideas as to what this may be? 

Or has anybody had this before?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Blubber said:

I was thinking "support air" too.. but that surely he can't be that daft ;)

xD I could be xD

I got the forks of that site, as working forks but stripped them and put new seals and oil in. Must say I did not check the manual apart from for oil amount, all seemed to be there in the right place when I stripped them and there was not left over parts on the bench when I'd finished xD 

I think when the new springs come I will strip them down and have a very good check of all the bits ;)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, gs7_11 said:

Yes, but the short spring has the spacer as well. That's standard.

So what was the issue then? Just no air pressure?

I don't know, all the bits where/are there all in the right place.

Replaced the standard spring and spacer/dampening tube with the YSS progressive springs and a 35mm spacer/dampening tube, with no air out in forks they sit right and seem to do what they are meant to do nicely and are giving a good ride feel nice and smoove.

All I can think is the standard 40 year old springs are past there best, instead of about 1" of travel till the forks are at the bottom yoke there is now about 5"+ with about 40mm of travel. I've not put a tape on them so take the 5" and 40mm as a very apx size xD when my palms have recovered I may do some more work on the preload But it's good for now ;)

But they work :D