Endurance style headlight cover

davecara

1 hour ago, R1guy said:

Agreed. Plus import duty.

@davecara- why not get a sheet of plexi glass and cut to suit.... should be alot cheaper?

I'm gonna hang out for a secondhand one I reckon. Its compound curved so a sheet of plexiglass flat wouldnt look right. Or am I just being a fussy tw@t? :P

Or sell some shit and buy one off @fiberman

Edited by davecara
  • Like 1

I have never understood why for 'endurance syle'  bodywork clearly designed for twin lights is converted to take only a single light, and this is interpreted as an improvement. When it's dark in an endurance race, I would have thought it an advantage to have the increased visibility from two lights or am I missing something here?O.o

1 hour ago, Dezza said:

I have never understood why for 'endurance syle'  bodywork clearly designed for twin lights is converted to take only a single light, and this is interpreted as an improvement. When it's dark in an endurance race, I would have thought it an advantage to have the increased visibility from two lights or am I missing something here?O.o

One of the lights was often removed, to fit an extra oil cooler.

Most of the 'endurance' style bikes with one light I have seen do not have an oil cooler up front, or if they do it's below the light. Weight saving? My guess is seeing where you are going at night would offer much higher benefits than a tiny saving in overall mass. I am not convinced....

17 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Most of the 'endurance' style bikes with one light I have seen do not have an oil cooler up front, or if they do it's below the light. Weight saving? My guess is seeing where you are going at night would offer much higher benefits than a tiny saving in overall mass. I am not convinced....

I believe that the lights were only there for Japanese championship regulations. Most endurance races in period never ran in the dark, only dusk, so lighter was better. 

European races were more likely to run through the night.

In racing every minimum weight sawing is important and event more if this mass is in  localised hi up in the bike/car..

Once we made a comparation in a 911 GT3 a the Jarama track driving just alone as fast I could some laps, after that I had a friend sitting as passenger (78kg) .

With the pasanger on board we lost near one sec per lap.

We did this to show how important weight is at racing as I worked making carbon fiber body parts for Porsche racing.

In other words sawing 1kg primordial and in racing is first in the list, 10hp more is much less important

7 hours ago, dupersunc said:

I believe that the lights were only there for Japanese championship regulations. Most endurance races in period never ran in the dark, only dusk, so lighter was better. 

European races were more likely to run through the night.

This makes sense to me, as some endurance races clearly do not spend much time during darkenss if at all, whereas others e.g. the Bol, much of the racing is during the night and it's not as if the tracks are floodlit. Saving one kg by cutting off half the lights before a night-time race does not make much sense to me unless the rider is that bloke from star wars who uses the force or whatever it's called (not a fan).

6 hours ago, bernardo said:

What I was told was that twin lights evolved so that one pointed ahead {up} under hard braking and the other in the normal position.

This would also make sense but does not explain why 'endurance style' involves removing one headlight rather than using two.

Removing one light just before a night time race would maybe increase the speed the rider enters a gravel trap by 0.0001 mph, so got to be worth the weight savingO.o

Edited by Dezza
3 minutes ago, baldrick said:

possibly because the lights they use in endurance racing are far more powerful than oe fitments they only needed one?

I dunno, just guessing, but I seem to remember reading that they were some fancy surface discharge lamps ……….or maybe im imagining it

Or maybe the current draw if the bikes running total loss? I don’t know either way, just look damn cool imo

Maybe its just because they look trick? :tu

Potentially a stupid question, but does anyone know what type of screws are used to fix these to the fairing? I have had one of the clear headlight covers for ages, and need 4 longer screws to replace the short ones that hold the headlight surround on! 

• Like 1