GSX Alternator rotor nut removal question

RickC

Hi All,

Next dumb question; how do I remove the Alternator Rotor nut off a GSX1100et?

Can I rattle gun it off?

I don't have the special Suzuki holder.

I have a puller set which should hopefully get the rotor off once the bolt is loosened.

I've tried a strap wrench but it just wants to slip for me.

Cheers,

Rick

Try the rattle gun with the bike in top, rear brake applied. If the engine's out of the frame ... that complicates things. Then you need something to hold the rotor. If you're using a 3 legged puller, you need to be extra careful it doesn't slip off, and damage the rotor. Better to use the internal thread. I may be wrong, but I'm sure either the swinging arm pin, or rear axle is the same thread as the rotor. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

I may be wrong, but I'm sure either the swinging arm pin, or rear axle is the same thread as the rotor. 

Yes it is, cant remeber which though, but if you have a large billet of something you can make a slide hammer and remove rotor that way. Just make sure you have full thread engagement

10 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Yes it is, cant remeber which though, but if you have a large billet of something you can make a slide hammer and remove rotor that way. Just make sure you have full thread engagement

Wouldn't the thread engage into the Crankshaft? The Oem tool picks up on an external 35mm thread on the rotor.

Googled a guy using a screwdriver to apply pressure to the two locating holes one at a time whilst tapping the centre bolt but for the realitively cheap price of the tool, it seemed better than screwing the rotor.

21 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Hope you've got the right size - there are two.......ask me how I found that out LOL!

I knew I should have measured it. Hopefully I got lucky I just measured 35mm on the outside of the rotor nut.

Edited by RickC
Adding info.