Just though I'd show you my 750.

:tu Looks like a well braced frame. Nice work. Any ideas for the tank yet? 

It's is a bit but I didn't want to under do it for my first attempt, besides, I have an 1100 motor under the bench. The way I have designed the frame, providing it will fit between the side rails, just about any upright cylinder four will go in.  

Dis you fabricate this as you went along, or is there a bin full of discarded ideas?

Looking good :)

Are you trying to say it looks like I made the design up as I went along ?  If you are, I don't mind, I prefer honest opinion. :D

The design is actually quite close to my original idea. There have been a few tweaks along the way, it is my first attempt, and there are bits dictated by my abilities ( or lack of).

There is a large pile of bits of tube etc that didn't come out how I wanted, probably enough to build a crap version. 

Obviously I went through a number of designs in my head first but this is the one I settled on before cutting any tube. I had (hope I have) sorted in my head first, front end, carbs inc cable routing, battery position, coils and electrics layout  etc. It should go off next week to have the front of the big alloy tank altered to match the front frame tube so it will sit in position so I can start the rear sub frame and seat unit. I have a novel design that I'll post when I start.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for posting those up Paul.

Thought I'd do a little update for anybody that is interested. It's taken a while to get the subframe done and welded, a combination of me taking a couple of attempts to get it right and waiting for my mate to have chance to weld it ( I'm not complaining, he's married got kids and running his own business). I also managed to get a few bits sorted while waiting but, now I have a fixed seating position I can actually sit on, things should move on a bit.  The amount of things you can't do till you have a seat is annoying.

Hope you like it so far.

• Like 6

Thank you. I can't take any credit for the welding but the design and fabrication is all my own work.  I've stuck to the great advice I got from Gav at GIA  to get all the joints a perfect fit before welding, it makes for a far stronger frame with very little chance of distortion. To do this I've made a jig so I could do all the tube notching in the miller using a holesaw and then been very careful with the tack welding to hold it firm. Result ? 0.25mm runout between front and rear spindles. Better than stock frames.

I'm quite happy with that for a first attempt. (y)  

I'll explain the strange rear end of the subframe as things go along but if anybody wants to take a guess.............

Edited by bluedog59
Addition.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...