New trick frame equals Q plate?

i have a dvla issued vin number, been MSVA'd and have an age related plate . tell them you are reframing an existing bike , which you have the V5 for, and that you will be using as many as possible of the existing components, wheels , brakes, engine, electics, suspension etc . 

worked for me 

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, bluedog59 said:

But if your new frame just happens to have the same number stamped on it......:banana:

Yep, the alternative (but not really 100% legit) is to have the frame made with no number, then buy a donor frame of the desired type-year and a set of letter and number stamps (and maybe one of those DIY VIN plates too), remove the old number from the donor frame and then weigh-in or use it for parts..... This just all sounds so dodgy but I suspect it happens more than taking a correct Q plate/alternative DVLA route given the odd registrations displayed on many frame kit bikes.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, yantosh said:

i have a dvla issued vin number, been MSVA'd and have an age related plate . tell them you are reframing an existing bike , which you have the V5 for, and that you will be using as many as possible of the existing components, wheels , brakes, engine, electics, suspension etc . 

worked for me 

Cheers for that I will be transferring most parts from my Et so this would be my ideal solution 

• 2 years later...

I would have thought that if you were to do that, you must put the Slingshot engine number on your V5. The only other thing is Insurance? Will you insure it as a stock ET or modified? Can't they be a bit funny about insuring modified stuff that isn't on a Q or bin MSVA'd? If you insure it as a standard bike but have an accident you may be on a sticky wicket.

Edited by dynodave
  • Like 1

There is a list of critera on the DVLA website regarding what is allowed modification wise with historic reg vehicles. When I registered a bike as historic is was an import and first UK reg. The bike was a stock resto and so old no-one in their right mind could argue against this. I thought to change a previously registered bike to historic status a declaration has to be made that it does not have 'significant' (or similar wording) modifications. Modifying the bike after historic status has been achieved is a different matter though and I have no idea if 'historic' would stick. It does seem to me to be a bit of a conundrum insurance wise though. If you declare major modifications, how can it still be historic when major mods aren't in keeping with the spirit of the regs?O.o

• Like 1

As above ^^^ the classification of 'historic' is not a 'get out of jail free card' for unlimited mods. The Historic - MOT thing precludes mods made within the last 30 yrs and / or being substantial in nature . . . . . and a chassis / frame change is! Insurance is the next one - they will know if its reclassified as 'historic' and know the criteria that it should attain, so telling them its got a mod'd frame will set the alarm bells off. I don't dare consider the implications of a total loss accident or being stolen would be, ie. potential declined claim and zero pennies for you! And lastly, the DVLA don't take kindly to being rogered and could simply seize the bike and crush it - treating it as a wringer! All of which is a pretty unsatisfactory outcome. Gone are the days when a frame swap was a weekend affair, get the boyz round and carry on camping - its either done right with 'like for like' or do the MSVA thing and live with the consequences of that route - a Q plate ain't the worst thing in the big scheme!

• Like 1

As has already been said, a Q plate doesn't have the stigma of 20 years ago and you don't get penalised by insurance, if anything it shows you have done things like right way!! 

Remember all insurance companies first thought is how can I get out of paying for this :(

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, gsxwill said:

As has already been said, a Q plate doesn't have the stigma of 20 years ago and you don't get penalised by insurance, if anything it shows you have done things like right way!! 

Remember all insurance companies first thought is how can I get out of paying for this :(

yep, just insured my "Q" plate GS, insurance co didnt ask any questions (y)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gsxwill said:

Really? Several companies I have asked refused to quote for my bike solely because it has a Q plate, and always has since it was built 35 years ago.

Taking the piss and having a heavily modded vehicle on a historic registration is a different thing altogether though.

On 3/3/2022 at 4:22 AM, Simbec1863 said:

Coming back to this after sometime now I have my ET registered as historic can I transfer parts over to the new frame and just stick my old plate on it as it will never go for an Mot or am I just chancing my arm and should go the MSVA route etc,any thoughts or experience with this? @Dezza @yantosh @370steve

are you meaning, transferring the reg to a diff frame.....  they rather frown on that ....  :ph34r:  

• Like 1