Bandit 1200 oil cooled into 93 GSXR 750 WP help

Hi everyone,

Apologizes first. I know this has been done countless time but yet again, I am confused and need help even after going through countless threads.

The project: 93 GSXR watercooled. 

Current state: when I finally got the engine running, I had black smoke coming out of valve cover breather hole. 

Decided to look for an alternative. I can have access to a complete pristine running donor bike (1999 bandit 1200s) with low miles. The plan is to ride the 1200s as it sits until I figure out the engine swap to the GSXR. 

My questions:

1- is the 99 bandit 1200s engine a straight swap, if I’m using everything from the donor bike including 

- engine

- wiring harness,

- cdi

- header and exhaust 

- oil cooler

2- what issues should I be anticipating? I read something about drilling the lower engine frame mount bigger. What else?

3- can I use the bandit airbox or do I need to stay with the GSXR one?

4- do I need to swap the GSXR intake boots to the 1200 engine for carb clearance?

5- can I use the GSXR wiring loom instead (reason: customized to fit my build)?

6- can I use the petcock from the bandit tank ( I don’t trust my stock gsxr one)?

7- can I use the fuel level sensor from the bandit tank?

8- will I ran into any clearance issues?

Any links to completed swap will be great!

I’m sure I’m forgetting  some other things, but if I can have help with the above that would be great! Thanks in advance!

oilcooled and watercooled engines are completely different. Some answers:

1- no.

2- all engine moints will need to be made, exhaust headers might hit frame downtubes.

3- no space for any stock airbox.

4- won't fit.

5- probably.

6- don't know

7- don't know

8- most likely yes.

So it's a lot of work, not impossible (some people on here have done it, like @homer) but not something you'd do in a day.

If I were you I'd look for another W engine, 1100 preferably.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 1993GSXR said:

1- is the 99 bandit 1200s engine a straight swap, if I’m using everything from the donor bike including  engine,  wiring harness,  cdi,  header and exhaust,  oil cooler Blandit is physically bigger engine and will be tight fit, why use wire loom not designed to fit? CDI needs to work with engine so yes to GSF one, Ex and header unlikely to fit nicely (if at all) and cooler is the least of the problems

2- what issues should I be anticipating? I read something about drilling the lower engine frame mount bigger. What else? Anything and everything as nothing is liable to 'just fit'

3- can I use the bandit airbox or do I need to stay with the GSXR one?  Not a snowball in Hell's chance!

4- do I need to swap the GSXR intake boots to the 1200 engine for carb clearance? The GSXR boots suit the GSXR carb spacing which is different to the GSF - you may get a combination that works but conflict somewhere is likely!

5- can I use the GSXR wiring loom instead (reason: customized to fit my build)? Can't see why not although some modification is required to ign switch if GSF CDI used - and assuming the connector plugs are the same!

6- can I use the petcock from the bandit tank ( I don’t trust my stock gsxr one)? Fairly unlikely due to available space - won't know till you try!

7- can I use the fuel level sensor from the bandit tank? Very unlikely

8- will I ran into any clearance issues? Oooooh Yeah!

Replies in RED above. We do not do stuff because it is easy but because it is hard LOL!

• Like 2

Thank you all for your replies! It’s truly appreciated!

9- What year frame does the b12 fit in easily?

10- Does is fit in the oiled cooled version of the      GSXR WP (meaning the generation right before the water cooled but still same looking frame and shape)?

thanks again!

Edited by 1993GSXR
7 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Replies in RED above. We do not do stuff because it is easy but because it is hard LOL!

Very Apt 9_9 considering its 50 years since they did what the JFK quote was originally about  :tu 

so yes as I can remember it that makes me old :v

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 2
30 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Oil cooled GSXR and oil cooled Blandit engines are identical in regard to physical size / dimensions so as #9 any Slingshot frame direct swap and as easy in a slabside. #10 - maybe, as its likely same as the 'N' frame.

Thanks! Please forgive the noob questions. I know water cooled started in the US with the 93 model year but:

11- what years are the slabsides? Frame letter codes?

12- what year are the slingshots? Frame letter codes?

13-  did they change the frame between 92 and 93 beside bolted rear subframe?

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, 1993GSXR said:

Thanks! Please forgive the noob questions. I know water cooled started in the US with the 93 model year but:

11- what years are the slabsides? Frame letter codes? 1986 - 1988 or 'G' - 'J'

12- what year are the slingshots? Frame letter codes? 1989 - 1992 or 'K' - 'N'

13-  did they change the frame between 92 and 93 beside bolted rear subframe? Unlikely

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

if you got the motor already go for it the frame will need modded but not drastically you just need to cut off the upper rear mount and make a new one some of the other mounting plates need to be remade but one or two(cant remember offhand) of the originals can be used

two of the header bolts will be behind the frame rails 

use the bandit loom and carbs and pod filters (no airbox will fit)

you will need an 8mm offset front sprocket 

and you will need to reshape the back edge of the sprocket cover to fit past the bulge where the swingarm pivot is and make a few brackets for the oil cooler

GSXR7-11nitros.jpg

GIX (8).JPG

mounts.jpg

mounts...jpg

GIX (5).JPG

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

one other thing i forgot is tank needs to be lifted slightly at the back and pushed forwards about 10mm or the fuel tap lands on top of the rear oil feed and wont sit down into the frame

i cut the front rubber mount to get tank forwards and shaved the botom of the tap almost to the bolt hole but if doing it again id shave the mount instead of the rubber or get a smaller tap :D

Edited by Heatz
On 1/26/2020 at 1:55 PM, Heatz said:

one other thing i forgot is tank needs to be lifted slightly at the back and pushed forwards about 10mm or the fuel tap lands on top of the rear oil feed and wont sit down into the frame

i cut the front rubber mount to get tank forwards and shaved the botom of the tap almost to the bolt hole but if doing it again id shave the mount instead of the rubber or get a smaller tap :D

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...