GS750L

Good Morning,

I picked up a 1979 GS750L for cheap, this is my first GS, and first real motorcycle project. Not to say I am inexperienced with projects, I am an AG mechanic so I get to fart with other people stuff all day at work, lol. Unfortunately, I am not partial to the "cruiser-esk" riding position of the "L." I have plans on gsxr front forks to drop the front end down and get just all around better suspension and handling however I'd like to keep the style of the bike similar to the factory look of a non-L model gs. Does anyone know if the frames are the same between the 77-79 gs750 models? It "looks" like the frames are very similar if not the same between pictures I found on the internet and looking at my bike. I ask because I would like to run a non-L style flat seat and tank, if there are differences, to flatten to bike out a bit. Any input is appreciated!

20190409_163333.jpg

20190409_163343.jpg

20190710_055042.jpg

20190710_055101.jpg

Edited by theneckasaurus

Hi and firstly welcome to the forum, absolutely masses of great advise here.

to try to answer your question i have a 78 g and i beleave the only difference is some of the brackets on the frame,

Can i ask are the side panel on there "hooks" or hanging a bit as they dont seem to sit right, because there seem to be a lot of gap between the top of the panel and the seat rail ???

Mouse.

23 minutes ago, Mouse said:

Hi and firstly welcome to the forum, absolutely masses of great advise here.

to try to answer your question i have a 78 g and i beleave the only difference is some of the brackets on the frame,

Can i ask are the side panel on there "hooks" or hanging a bit as they dont seem to sit right, because there seem to be a lot of gap between the top of the panel and the seat rail ???

Mouse.

Youre referencing the blue bike? I don't know. The seat is just sitting on top, it isnt "hooked" in as the PO chopped the rear and Ill need to fab up another bracket so the seat isnt free to do what it wants while Im riding.

42 minutes ago, Mouse said:

Yes sorry meant the say blue one,

If you want any photos or measurements of your missing frame rails let me know as mine is slowly being dismantled. 

Mouse.

Actually, I would love some! I don't know how much he hacked off. I was just going to find a seat and fab to order in the respect. When I get home today I will take pictures without the seat and post measurements. I appreciate your generosity, Mouse.

9 hours ago, Mouse said:

Yes sorry meant the say blue one,

If you want any photos or measurements of your missing frame rails let me know as mine is slowly being dismantled. 

Mouse.

Mouse, they left 19" on the money in the marked area. Please forgive my editing skills, I used some obscure program on my computer and it was next to impossible to make something as simple as this. Heres a picture, the blue line denotes the area.

Sideshot gs7501.jpg

12 hours ago, theneckasaurus said:

I appreciate your generosity, Mouse.

Not a problem, since I joined this forum a few weeks ago I've had some great help and advice,  it's good to give something back.

will be going to my lock-up tomorrow to work on my bike so will take photos then, don't think I can put measurements on photos like you but will figure something out.

Whereabouts in the country are you as I have the back half of a original seat that you can have for free if you want ???, will post photos of it as well.

Mouse.

Not sure, i just assume things, s**t habit according to her in draws :D

I'm from Kent in the u.k and we seem to have our own language, habits, and customs to the rest of the country,  (according to the rest of the country).

Just google Micky flannigan on youtube to see what i mean (y)

Mouse.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Mouse said:

I'm from Kent in the u.k and we seem to have our own language, habits, and customs to the rest of the country,  (according to the rest of the country).

Just google Micky flannigan on youtube to see what i mean (y)

Mouse.

people from Devon and Glasgow are worse xD going to get my bag now xD

• Like 1

I'm trying to find top cover gaskets and bowl gaskets for the carbs. I did salvage the top cover gaskets but they are like  dang tater chips (or crisps for the brothers across the pond.) The bowl gaskets didn't cooperate so they went into the berrymans soak as well and it didn't bode well for them. Z1enterprises has the top cover gaskets but wont sell the bowl gaskets outside of the rebuild kit they have, which I don't need. I found some folks up in canada with all my gaskets but it'll take 3 weeks to get them which I'm not to keen on. Any other stateside options?