Wideband and exhaust length ....

hey guys, 

been chimping around on the gsxr, putting on some miles whilst ironing out a few bugs etc and  i guess its long overdue to look at getting some sort of wideband to see whats actually going on in there

anyone using the AEM X-series available on that site ??  good or bad ?? 

also,  iv been advised that my stubby little exhaust pipe isnt going to be any good and ill need to add some length to that in order to get a proper reading, is there a min length needed ??

cheers  :tu

Don't know nuffin about the AEM - heard the name but nothing about the wideband. There are no recommended length between the sensor and the exh. outlet - longer is better because the closer it is to the outlet / end the greater the chance of the sensor 'seeing' atmospheric air, fooling the sensor into thinking the mixture is leaner than it actually is. Mine lives in a turbo dump pipe - about 12" total length and works ok.

• Like 1

AEM X-series has been working fine on a couple of bikes that I have been tuning. I would say it's probably the best option that I can personally recommend at the moment. Spartan 2 form 14point7.com is another good option if you want to save some pennies.

Ideally the sensor should be at some distance away from outlet of the exhaust to avoid fresh air contamination. But in practice even short dump pipes seem to work quite fine on turbo engines. There might be some misreading at idle but at any higher rpm it's usually fine. N/A engines are more tricky since there is more pulsing on the exhaust flow that tends to pull fresh air in the exhaust.

• Like 1

On that short pipe it probably doesn't matter much where you place it. I would put it a bit further away from the turbo, about in the middle of the pipe. And preferably above horizontal centerline, just to prevent condensation water getting on the sensor.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, clivegto said:

Dyno man told me to put it on 1 of the down pipes above the Turbo so that there was no oxygen leak back at all. This was at the OSS dyno day recently.

I wouldn't! All the wideband install notes i've seen / read do not advise putting the sensor pre turbo due to the heat & back-pressure. I have one fitted there but its a sacrificial narrow band so I don't care - the WB is after though!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, manden said:

Must be on the downpipe. Take it atleast 10cm from the turbo. It will live longer.

That is a confusing statement - a turbo doesn't generally have what are called 'downpipes' just a manifold / collector and this is NOT the place to mount a WB sensor. Anywhere downstream of the turbo outlet is ok as a lot of the heat / pressure is dissipated, just try to keep away from the outer end of the dump pipe - if you have a full exhaust you are in clover as the issue doesn't arise. Orientation is important also ie. between 9 and 3 o'clock is ideal.

• Like 1

I've been having a read on the innovate site and there's a fair bit of info on there about this. Apparently the back pressure causes fucked readings as well as the o2 sensor is only good for 750°c. You could in theory use a spacer as this would bring the temp right down but probably reduce accuracy further.