1987 GSXR 1100 H Frame restore

Hi,

I would like to clean and restore the ali frame. I have the bike stripped.
Apart from scotchbrite and 320 grit sandpaper any other good options?

Considering a frame polish but given the bike pretty stock I would like to try and keep they frame finish standard looking?
Glass bead blast?
Soda blast?

What have others done?

Appreciate any help

Your options are limited! Forget abrasives and blasting as the frames are anodised as std - not very well but enough to stop corrosion. Any scratching will allow the white furry corrosion creatures in. If you do go that route then either get it clear powder coated (matt or satin) to keep it looking mint or buy a lifetime supply of metal polish and waste every sunday till you sell it - polishing it!

• Like 3

Are you patient and do you like faffing about with chemicals? If so, maybe try to remove the old anodising chemically. Personally I would try this first by wrapping rags or sponges round the frame rails then soaking them with a caustic soda solution. Leaving the ali soaked in caustic soda solution for 30 min  should soften the anodising enabling its removal with scotchbrite. If the results are positive the frame could be done in sections over a period of time, and then you'd end up with a frame you could finish with Belgom, which contains a wax.

Oven cleaner will remove anodising. Brush it on, leave a few minutes, then hose it off to neutralise it. It will go black, but will polish up. There was an anodiser that did frames somewhere in the Midlands. Competitive price too. If I can find the phone number, I'll post it up. 

20 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Oven cleaner will remove anodising. Brush it on, leave a few minutes, then hose it off to neutralise it. It will go black, but will polish up. There was an anodiser that did frames somewhere in the Midlands. Competitive price too. If I can find the phone number, I'll post it up. 

This is correct. The active ingredient is sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) but it also has a foaming agent that makes it stick to vertical surfaces