'No Bonny Lights'!

I hate this stuff! Went to turn the Blandit over today. Ign. on, clutch in, hit the tit ... and got that sound we all dread. 'Phuttt'! Everything dead. No idiot lights ... nothing! So, main fuse, I thought. Nope! Changed it anyway, still nowt! Removed, checked and cleaned all fuses in fuse box. Still nothing! No burned wires. No 'Magic Smoke'. Just ... nothing. Where to start checking? Any ideas? 

I hate electrics!!!

20 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

I hate this stuff! Went to turn the Blandit over today. Ign. on, clutch in, hit the tit ... and got that sound we all dread. 'Phuttt'! Everything dead. No idiot lights ... nothing! So, main fuse, I thought. Nope! Changed it anyway, still nowt! Removed, checked and cleaned all fuses in fuse box. Still nothing! No burned wires. No 'Magic Smoke'. Just ... nothing. Where to start checking? Any ideas? 

I hate electrics!!!

Do you have an optimiser? I like them because they keep it charged and let you know if its fooked.

I too would start with battery, loose connections etc dont start from doing nothing, though corrosion does of course.

WD40 sprayed on electronics...vaseline on connectors. 

Start at the basics, 

1. Dose the battery have power?

2. Are you getting power to fuse box and starter solenoid, by the two red wires coming off battery, cross the terminals on solenoid with screw driver see if engine turns over.

3. Is power going to ignition switch by the red wire?

4. Is there power coming out of ignition switch when turned on by the orange wire?

The very basics, sorry if you know/done this not trying to teach you how to suck eggs ;)

• Like 1

Swiss have had a similar  problem  recently on my B12  battery showed fully charged all idiot lights workef but press the starter and all dead. First thought main fuse , but actually turned out to the  battery that was at fault even though it showed fully charged

• Like 1

@wsn03No immobiliser or alarms fitted. @E TI've pulled that plug apart and cleaned it. Still nothing.  @IceKatI've got nothing. No idiot lights,  dead as a doornail! Batt. shows 12.7V. When I switched ign. on,   everything lit up as normal. Pulled clutch lever and hit the button, there was a definate crack from the centre of the bike! So, apart from the main fuse being blown, which it isn't, what could cause the electrics to be totally brown bread? Earths are tight!

Edited by Swiss Toni
20 minutes ago, wsn03 said:

Was going to suggest the same. I had the same thing once with a battery

Yep, 12+ V might be showing but as soon as you put load on it (even the tail light was enough in my case) it comes crashing down to near 0. Made it a point in these cases to check the voltage while pressing the starter button (with ignition on of course). Anything under 10V is bad, as the coils wont work properly anymore.

Also (long shot, and I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it in person): Check the polarity on the battery! I've had one reverse itself so that + and - got swapped. Didn't know that was possible and it took us way too long to find out. Apparently a combination heat and deep discharge can cause a battery to reverse it's polarity. If you only look at voltage and not check for the little minus sign on display, you might never see it.

• Like 1

Well ... it's sorted! All you guys that suspected the battery, were spot on!  Even though the bastard thing was showing 12.7V! Anyway, as I'd just bought a new battery for our lass's car, I decided to hook it up to the bike before I fitted it to her car. Bonny Lights back! Turned over a bit sluggish, though! Stripped and cleaned starter solenoid, starter motor and battery terminals. Cleaned the main earth on the back of the crankcases (could Suzuki have made it any more awkward to get to?), and re-fitted it. Hit the button again, and cranking speed back to normal! :banana:@duncan Same symptoms as you, excluding reverse polarity! Battery showing 12.7V. Soon as ignition switched on, voltage drop to .7V recovering to 1.9V! FUBAR'd then! Bearing in mind FBJ's scary new  battery experience, what's decent gear, and what's to avoid?

Cheers Oldskooler's! (y)(y)(y)

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Well ... it's sorted! All you guys that suspected the battery, were spot on! For all the bastard thing was showing 12.7V! Anyway, as I'd just bought a new battery for our lass's car, I decided to hook it up to the bike before I fitted it to her car. Bonny Lights back! Turned over a bit sluggish, though! Stripped and cleaned starter solenoid, starter motor and battery terminals. Cleaned the main earth on the back of the crankcases (could Suzuki have made it any more awkward to get to?), and re-fitted it. Hit the button again, and cranking speed back to normal! :banana:@duncan Same symptoms as you, excluding reverse polarity! Battery showing 12.7A. Soon as ignition switched on, voltage drop to .7A recovering to 1.9A. FUBAR'd then! Bearing in mind FBJ's scary new  battery experience, what's decent gear, and what's to avoid?

Cheers OSSer's! (y)(y)(y)

Make sure you vaseline up those bits you've cleaned, stop the corrosion coming back

• Like 1