1340 Options (1127 vs. 1157)

nightrider

So I'm going 1340cc.

I Have two options in my shed to work with,  b12 motor or my 1052 block with a gsx1100F Helical 1127 crank and clutch.

I know the Teapot Coil Spring clutch is stronger then the b12 Diaphragm Clutch but are there any other advantages one offers over the other?

Which has the better head?

etc, etc.

Decisions, decisions.

I might've imagined this, but I think I heard stories of the helical gear on the clutch winding itself apart in high power applications... and the B12 clutch issues can be overcome, you can get lock-up conversions for them, and you'd probably want to do that on any clutch if you're going 1340...

• Like 1

Hmm, ya I was wondering about the helical. Had to be a reason why they only used it for two years out of the whole SACS history.

This engine will be a speed trials engine, not a drag bike engine.

Figured I wouldn't really need a lockup as gearing will all be pointed to top end. No sudden explosive low / mid range power outputs.

Am I wrong?

If I need one I'm not apposed to getting one.

Thoughts?

Plus its always higher gears where clutch slip usually manifests itself - you pulling higher gears won't help the situation. ie to go fast you need power and pulling taller gears from lower in the range is where the torque will induce the slip. It can be done using clutchless shifting but just needs a bit of wheel slip or a bump that jars the suspension / drivetrain and it could trigger slip. Although simple devices they are fit and more or less forget!

• 1 month later...