Clutch Swap 6 spring to 4 spring

Did my gearbox last week and wrecked my 6 spring innerclutch basket so i thought i have 5 engines so who cares.

Take an engine apart and use the clutch from that, thing was i only have pre 1990 750 engines with 4 spring clutches.

Found out the hard way that the outerbasket isnt the same so that rattles like fek (should have checked the vault first yes i am a dumb ass)

So i thought i’ll use the 6 spring outerbasket and the 4 spring inner basket

That does not work either checked all shims bearings and it’s all the same but still the clutch sounded like a steam boat.

Put back the broken inner 6 spring clutchbasket and gone is all the noise.

So question is can i use a 4 spring basket with some tricks ?? Or is it impossible?

The baskets look identical only diff seems to be 4 / 6 springs

18 minutes ago, wraith said:

Have you tried putting extra plates in?

Don't know if this will work but have heard people doing this to make the clutch quieter.

Didn’t try honestly, it seemed like something was grinding rubbing with the 4 spring innerhub.

When killing the engine it just instantly stops like somethings holding it to run.

9 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

What is the 6 spring clutch from? As to my knowledge all of the oil burners only had 4 spring or diaphragm clutches. Early AC motors had 6 springs but were much bigger, later GSXR bikes went to 5 spring I believe?

All 90, 91, 92 750 oilcoolers had 6 spring clutches with the 91 and 92 clutches had an extra washer behind the centernut wich holds the innerbasket

According to the fiches on Alphasports 

I have a 90 engine

Edited by Leblowski

Okay lads i have got it sorted, couldnt live with this set up not working so i started taking it all out and did some measurements.

It turned out 4  and 6 innerbaskets are kind of excactly the same just some slight differences but nothing that could cause such nois.

So i used the 90 outer basket obviously cause of the one tooth difference and installed the 4 spring innerbasket from the 89 engine.

Only thing i did different was installing the 90 engine clutchpuller wich is approx 1,5 cm longer, dont ask me why but it works and makes no noise.

Engine turns over as it always did and the clutch works fine.

So happy camper here.