GSX1100 ET-EX wheel upgrade

Hi all

Recently acquired a GSX1100 ET - EX which is a lot of fun but I always had in mind to run it on 18" wheels with its standard forks and Metmachex swinging arm. So, I recently picked up a pair of 18" GSXR1100J 3-spokes which look like they should do the job nicely. I'm looking for any advice on suitable disks, sprocket carriers etc to make the installation as simple as possible.

Many thanks

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, wrx03ppp said:

Will do! I've gone for the standard non-piggy back shocks... they will be 25mm longer than standard and the standard front forks are now 10mm shorter with cartridge internals to give adjustable compression and rebound.

So it will be a bit head down arse up then . Nice one .

It could have been Davida of helmet fame? They are in Birkenhead and used to produce things other than helmets but I didn't know that the made fork braces. I just bought a Tarozzi for me ET-EX.

Regarding the arse up - head down position, Maxton measured up the bike and determined that the steering head angle is so lazy on the standard bike that ideally they would raise the rear by 75mm to get it even close to what is used on more modern bikes without cutting and welding. I forget the figure they work to. Obviously that's not going to work, so we agreed a compromise to steepen it as much as practical without losing too much ground clearance. The objective being to improve the turn-in and also minimise the high speed instability which may be related to lack of weight on the raked-out front end.  With their suspension set-up it won't be difficult to drop the rear or raise the front should it proves desirable.

The only problem is that the rear shock mounts to suit the Metmachex swing arm aren't back from the anodisers so it will be another week before I get the bike back.

On the "plus-side" the Eblag 18" wheels arrived yesterday and look great but I think that will be a job for the winter.

• 2 weeks later...