1100 SZ Katana rocker spindles

After stripping my cylinder head I noticed a strange thing?
The shafts the rocker arms run on (no 12 in the attached pic) have a cross head screw and a washer screwed into one end of the shaft on my engine yet the diagram clearly shows none fitted? Is this one of my bikes previous owners bodges or is there a sound reason?

0A280BA8-4D7F-4E64-99ED-B1B5C9FAFD1B.jpeg

BA5950D7-E077-4B57-97D0-6CEF9ECD8AAA.jpeg

Edited by PaulDun
Missed photo

prob not remotely the same reason but we used to do a similar thing to old rover v8 engines, the spindles are hollow and used to get sludgy oil in them but are capped with a small core type plug, we used to knock out the plug, clean out the crud then cap the spindle with bolts

17 hours ago, jameskat said:

Bolt 14 holds the shaft in place and the plug bolt in the head stops the pressurized oil escaping. I think that the thread was there to aid removal of the shaft, Is the other end solid? 

No mate both ends are threaded but the cross head screw is in one end only?

the reason I’m concerned is I’ve had to replace the head and both camshafts as they where totalled  and after all the other cock ups ive found I want to make sure I don’t have to spend another pile of money I ain’t got 

On 6/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, PaulDun said:

After stripping my cylinder head I noticed a strange thing?
The shafts the rocker arms run on (no 12 in the attached pic) have a cross head screw and a washer screwed into one end of the shaft on my engine yet the diagram clearly shows none fitted? Is this one of my bikes previous owners bodges or is there a sound reason?

0A280BA8-4D7F-4E64-99ED-B1B5C9FAFD1B.jpeg

Look at Haynes Manual page 89 - picture 22.3a and there is the crosshead in the end of the rocker shaft and on the following page 22.3c shows a bolt being used to withdraw the shaft. I suspect that there should be screws in either end to maximise oil pressure to the rocker bearings as its piss poor at the best of times - so its not a bodge unless its a Suzuki bodge LOL!

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Look at Haynes Manual page 89 - picture 22.3a and there is the crosshead in the end of the rocker shaft and on the following page 22.3c shows a bolt being used to withdraw the shaft. I suspect that there should be screws in either end to maximise oil pressure to the rocker bearings as its piss poor at the best of times - so its not a bodge unless its a Suzuki bodge LOL!

Brilliant, thanks for that. I’ve just looked at the Haynes manual and as you say there is a cross head screw visible. 

I might put another four screws in to maximise the oil pressure to the rockers, whaddya fink?