F or G?

I have a 750 Slabbie I thought was an F model (1985 manf.). It's a JDM import. On the V5C, in the 'Special Notes' section, it states year of manufacture as 1986, which would make it a G model.  I got onto DVLA to try and get it changed to '85, but they maintain their records show it's an '86! When I bought it, it had all the bits that were particular to the F model ... tank, twin seats, top fairing with 'gill' slots and fibreglass belly pan. What other differences between models was there? The chassis no is prefixed by GR71F-
Engine is R705-. Can members with  F, G and H models please confirm their chassis prefixes are;
GR71F ('85), GR71G ('86), and GR71H ('87) ?
I theng yew!

DVLA are bunch of arseholes who don't listen and don't care, my F is on a C plate and my G is on B plate but try telling them it's wrong and it's the usual "out records show" bullshit they weren't interested in changing or helping sort it out.

It's not a registration issue, it having an age related number with a B prefix, they even got that bit wrong. Shoulda been C reg! But it beats me why, when giving it an '84 prefix, do they then say '86 year of manufacture. I'm just a bit pissed off, having had the F bodywork repaired and re -painted in the '85 Blue/White UK colours, to find maybe the fucking thing could be a G model! @E Twhat's your frame prefix number?

Edited by Swiss Toni
Guest YoshiJohnny
2 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

It's not a registration issue, it having an age related number with a B prefix, they even got that bit wrong. Shoulda been C reg! But it beats me why, when giving it an '84 prefix, do they then say '86 year of manufacture. I'm just a bit pissed off, having had the F bodywork repaired and re -painted in the '85 Blue/White UK colours, to find maybe the fucking thing could be a G model! @E Twhat's your frame prefix number?

Year of manufacture is how they determine "Historic" status and has nothing to do with your particular bike.

B reg was from August 1st 1984 to 30th July 1985

Hope this clears this all up for you x

14 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

@E Twhat's your frame prefix number?

GR71F ,  Was your bike complete when you got it ? as well as fairing and swing arm differences the other things i have noticed is earlier bikes have flush tail light and bar end weights 45mm long later modles were 35mm long there was also a change in front wheel spindle size but don't remember when that happened. 

@E TYes, it was complete. I'm almost sure the tail light was flush, but not having seen it for a while, can't say for definite. Bar end weights were aftermarket so, there again, no confirmation. Surely the frame prefix is a definite indication of model year?  I remember there was a change in wheel spindle size, but that's about it!

10 hours ago, E T said:

GR71F ,  Was your bike complete when you got it ? as well as fairing and swing arm differences the other things i have noticed is earlier bikes have flush tail light and bar end weights 45mm long later modles were 35mm long there was also a change in front wheel spindle size but don't remember when that happened. 

Like this?

1202306327_June09001.thumb.jpg.0cff2b9cf0b32088fe86504a55e7f206.jpg

Evidently, the GR71F prefix only applied to the '85 model. '86/'87 models were both GR71G. The '71' was the JDM prefix. European models were GR75A. You're right about the front wheel axle sizes! '85/'86 were both 15mm, whereas the '87 H model was uprated to 17mm. All rears were 20mm.

Edited by Swiss Toni

@E TStamped into headstock. Think my fairing frame is G, as horns mounted to it. Having said that, the previous owner also had a 750 G or H, so who knows which parts off mine were 'liberated?'  ;)What's the difference in the fairing mount below the lamps? And, thanks for all the info OSS! (y)

Edited by Swiss Toni
On 6/21/2019 at 11:47 PM, Swiss Toni said:

@wsn03Can you post a picture of the battery box, just curious! 

Hi mate

Battery box in situ is far too difficult to see anything, I checked last night 

What i do know is that it has one less mounting lug than a G, but I need to take it out to show you.

I'll check on Fowlers for a picture tomorrow 

• Like 1