Draw through or blow through? is the big question.

Pro's and con's, power ,torque ,installation and lag . Peoples thoughts and experiences. Nearly made up my mind , Draw through system  possibly running hybrid  ford ecoboost  X27 280 turbo these are rated at 280 Brake ( looking for 220-230 lag free bhp,  so turbo might still be to big ) but are based on the 1.5 ford turbo so are nice and small to reduce lag. Did think about a hybrid unit from the 1.0 Ecoboost rated at 220 bhp, But after a few talks with the professionals this was deemed possibility to small for the upper rev range.   

Induction wise 48-50 mm BMW throttle body with a possible second injector , Microsquirt ecu, Custom plenum and stainless headers. Mapper said hes happy to map a car, but is not getting on the back of a f"""""ging bike !!!

Cams redialled for bottom end /midrange 

1216 Big bore Bandit engine,

I am not a turbo owner or expert but i am currently under the impression that the info you are looking for is available in the forced induction topics of this site.

Maybe not distilled into a single topic for your easy access but still ....available.

A lot of OSS members have taken the time to share their tumbles and experiences to get their bike running.

I found their insights helpful and explainatory even whilst i am a Normaly Asperated OSS-er.

Just my two cents as a turbo novice

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dupersunc said:

Turbo you've chosen will have the wrong seals for a draw through system.

Think why virtually every first induction system developed in the last 30 years has been blow through.

Thanks Dupersunc, I used to have a Mr turbo GSX1100E and for the love of me cannot remember what turbo it was running, But Speaking to the Guys at work ( R&D Department of a well known Diesel engine manufacturer) we have decided on a  Blow through system with a remote airbox ( bike will be used as a daily ) so as to keep water ingress away from the turbo inlet. Suppose thats why its called development 

45 minutes ago, slabbyfaceddean said:

Thanks Dupersunc, I used to have a Mr turbo GSX1100E and for the love of me cannot remember what turbo it was running, But Speaking to the Guys at work ( R&D Department of a well known Diesel engine manufacturer) we have decided on a  Blow through system with a remote airbox ( bike will be used as a daily ) so as to keep water ingress away from the turbo inlet. Suppose thats why its called development 

Best way to keep water away from the Turbo is called a Car or Van day :v 

Or go the proper way Draw Thru :tu

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 3

My air filter fell off my blow through ET in the pouring rain, didn’t bother it too much:D Use a decent filter on the turbo with a splash guard if you are worried about water ingress, I’ve never bothered with a splash guard,and it does get ridden in the wet now and again.

2 minutes ago, Reinhoud said:

Isn't a blow through also better rideable than a draw through?

Not if its fuel injected as well - but I suppose that applies to anything! I'd really like to do an 'old skool' laid out install but have an S&S tractor carb converted to a throttle body (just add a TPS and gut the rest) with injectors mounted in the plenum firing straight down the ports - I reckon it would be awesome!

• Like 1
On 6/15/2019 at 7:25 PM, Gixer1460 said:

Not if its fuel injected as well - but I suppose that applies to anything! I'd really like to do an 'old skool' laid out install but have an S&S tractor carb converted to a throttle body (just add a TPS and gut the rest) with injectors mounted in the plenum firing straight down the ports - I reckon it would be awesome!

I was told that a draw through was a bit like riding a 2 stroke..

• 2 months later...

Biggest issue with draw through is keeping the fuel suspended. Your intake tract becomes exponentially longer. Longer tract combined with any change in direction will result in coming out of suspension. 

The only factory unit I recall now is the pinto 2.0l turbo. It ran ~5psi. The drag racers were turn it up for more boost. Unfortunately the more boost was from increased speed which exacerbated the fuel suspension problem.

You will also wear out the compressor turbine faster due to liquid fuel hitting the blades.

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2019 at 10:25 AM, Gixer1460 said:

Ade Rix has done a EFI one on Blair Mccauls bike ....230bhp ish with a super liner curve 

Its all on Facefook :ph34r:  

renault 5 turbo version one was a draw through I believe.

Not many about as fire was an issue..........

all comments about keeping fuel vapiourised due to air speed in venturi are spot on. Its solvable mind Mr Rix would be a good person to speak with I suspect as Clive sez.

Dave dunlop has experience too mind. Its about what you want it for eh