Angle of the dangle

No expert but I would of thought shocks like this work better at a given angle...those look a little too horizontal in relation to the mounting points...Wouldn't the force acting on the shocks in that position put undue stress on components in a way they were not designed to be and change the rate somewhat ????

How about shorter shocks?

• Like 1

The more horizontal the shock the more the shock will bend/bow instead of it doing what it should that's go up and down.

I'd look at more the next hole up to the right in pic on sub frame, but again not the best a better angle but not much bracing to stop the shock/frame flexing.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, dupersunc said:

Too steep. Looks like a falling wheel rate at that angle.

Hit the nail on the head. 

The pivot point of the arm has a lot to do with where you have the mount points of the shock. As you already know where bottom shock mounts are, it easy to find the optimum point for a rear shock to work correctly. Shock set perpendicular to the pivot point of the arm is the sweet spot. (Where red and blue arch intersect. 

Have a look at suspension guru Tony Foales website. He has suspension calculator software that's really handy. I keep his bible on the shelf. A most have when working on custom set ups. 

https://motochassis.com/

20190614_000205.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, inazumarob said:

Pops Yoshimura altered the shock angle on his race bikes to improve handling. I think 31.5°, slightly forward top mount from STD I believe from an article I read.

More like faster rebound and quicker recovery from squat, essential for a racer. As a result of quicker recovery, better handling at speed.

It's the a case of "form follows function" as what application are you designing the bike to do?

Slightly forward for racing, slighty backward if you're carrying Ten Tonne Tessie as a pillion, (i.e. carrying weight)

The optimum point is just the best of both worlds but the bikes function should determine whatevers best.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...