Resurrection project - GSX750-ES

I have a 1986 GSX 750 es which has been in my shed for 15 yrs . I now want it back on the road. Released the cylinders without issue and hooked up a battery; the starter solonoid gave a reliable click but nothing from the starter motor. Stripped down to this and managed to release so was getting some action.  Note that indicators and headlights worked at this point too.

Put back in the shed for 2 weeks due to weather and on checking yesterday (with freshly charged battery) we now get no click from the solonoid. We have replaced the solonoid with a new one just in case and same issue.

When we press the starter switch we get a whine noise from the coil assembly but nothing else. Headlights and indicators also no longer work (Neutral indicator on the Dashboard does work though and the rev counter spikes then settles when ignition first turned)

Ignition and starter fuses have been checked.

Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Edited by aw10235

Hi and thanks both for the welcome :)

Black to negative terminal, red to positive terminal.  We get power to the dash, but lights and indicators do not work (anymore, these worked a few weeks back, only real change is connecting a freshly charged battery so concerned have fried something)

Checked fuse box on the side but only had 5 in there, is there another which has more, relays, etc?

20 minutes ago, aw10235 said:

Black to negative terminal, red to positive terminal.  We get power to the dash, but lights and indicators do not work

Check the black and white wire that branches off the negative from the battery. Should find a a connector block along this wire. Unplug and clean the terminals and plug back in.  More than likely just a bad connection.

18 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Check the black and white wire that branches off the negative from the battery. Should find a a connector block along this wire. Unplug and clean the terminals and plug back in.  More than likely just a bad connection.

Thanks Jaydee, will check/clean this.

The battery is brand new with an overnight charge on a dead-charger.

On 6/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, aw10235 said:

I have a 1986 GSX 750 es which has been in my shed for 15 yrs . I now want it back on the road. Released the cylinders without issue and hooked up a battery; the starter solonoid gave a reliable click but nothing from the starter motor. Stripped down to this and managed to release so was getting some action.  Note that indicators and headlights worked at this point too.

Put back in the shed for 2 weeks due to weather and on checking yesterday (with freshly charged battery) we now get no click from the solonoid. We have replaced the solonoid with a new one just in case and same issue.

When we press the starter switch we get a whine noise from the coil assembly but nothing else. Headlights and indicators also no longer work (Neutral indicator on the Dashboard does work though and the rev counter spikes then settles when ignition first turned)

Ignition and starter fuses have been checked.

Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Looked at one last week with the intention of sliding a turbo Bandit lump into it. missed it 

Edited by slabbyfaceddean