gsx1100 es or ef diffence

Im sorry if this has been asked before but its hard to search for ES and EF theres alot of hits :)

i found what i think  is a really good offer on a 1985 gsx1100es 

theres a gsx1100ef on the market too aswell from 1985

the ef cost more than twice the es.

is the ef so much better ? i know the difference in factory numbers cu. comp. hp. etc. 

or am i better off buyin the cheaper es and spend money on upgrades ?

can the es engine be upgraded easily to the bigger bore?

suggestions apreciated :)

Pictures would help.

There is also a gsx1100esd which rougly ran from 1982 to 1985 depending on the market.  

Whilst it is not a bad bike... The most coveted is a gsx1100 from 1985 up which has the 1135cc engine ( on most markets) and a rectangular tubed frame.

1 minute ago, Blubber said:

Pictures would help.

There is also a gsx1100esd which rougly ran from 1982 to 1985 depending on the market.  

Whilst it is not a bad bike... The most coveted is a gsx1100 from 1985 up which has the 1135cc engine ( on most markets) and a rectangular tubed frame.

this if rom the sales adds, ths first is 1100es and the second is 1100ef where seller confirm its the 1134/124hp version

gsx1100es.jpg

gsx1100ef.jpg

• Like 2

es is the 1075cc eengine same as the katana and et, ef is the upgraded version with 1135cc more power, more torque, more everything. at the moment everyone is after efe's, nothing wrong with the es, but the efe is more of everything. if it were my money, id buy the ef.

Both good bikes, but like above the second the gsx1100ef is a more sort after bike, more powerful engine etc.

Both can be tuned easily, and if the day it's down to how deep your pockets are and which you like the look/style of, if you look at a full pic of both they look totally different.

i remember back in the day when the ef came out. one of the monthly magazine journos was running a katana in some race series, i recall his comment that he had spent a lot of money tuning his katana and then discovered that the standard efe produced more power and torque out of the box by an embarrassing margin.
you can tune the es motor easily, theres loads of stuff out there. but what you need to bear in mind is that you can easily spend a couple of grand in order to increase the power of the es to the same power as the standard ef. theres a reason that everyone wants an ef engine. its got all the strength you need to tune it even more, or else run it on forever with no reliability worrys.

Both are good bikes for their age.

I have ridden both for years and the EFE was my favourite one. Even in stock form. Both have old electrics, crappy brakes and out dated tire sizes so I would modify both to a modern standard.

To me.... The 1135 engine is worth the extra money. 

Is test driving both an option? 

the posts here has me going for the EF model as it seems its the way to go. i have a feeling the EF is more cared for aswell by previous owner. going to test drive both on the weekend i hope and started to see ig i can squeeze the EF a little on the price.

The Ef is originally without the fairing the seller states so i guess ill have to get that on Eblag eventually as i would really like one, just the little version im thinking. :)

On 6/9/2019 at 6:35 PM, Askamaskinservice said:

ES looks like it's a -83 years model. (1074cc)

EF is a -84 or newer.                          (1135cc)

i have stille to get then confinermed engine number from seller on the ES but i assume youre right on this one

the cover on the back of the clocks is from a faired one, and so are the clip-ons. And the headlight is not original (should be bigger - hens teeth by now).

2 hours ago, Franchizai said:

The Ef is originally without the fairing the seller states 

Edited by Captain Chaos
f@cked up a quote
On 6/8/2019 at 4:16 PM, Franchizai said:

this if rom the sales adds, ths first is 1100es and the second is 1100ef where seller confirm its the 1134/124hp version

gsx1100es.jpg

gsx1100ef.jpg

The bottom looks to be a formerly faired bike - an ES in the states. It has the lower handlebars and that square hole on back cover of the gauge cluster is where the bracket to mount it to the fairing stay would come out from. If the engine still had its original paint, the non faired bike would have the edge of the cooling fins on the head in bare aluminum. 

Went to pick up the Ef this weekend and its now mine :) 

thanks for the comments on this purchase, it felt right the moment i saw this bike even though i like it with fairing. but that can come some day.

bike drives really well and pulls like a m..... so its a very nice start :) i wont be messing with anything though until i have my gs750 back on the road. i have to have at least one bike thats running :D

• Like 2
On 6/18/2019 at 11:23 AM, Swiss Toni said:

Then the fun'll start! Keep the 'photo's coming! (y)

The fun may start the first time you give it some on a bumpy road, esepcially if the back tyre is worn.......:( There's reason why so many EFs run the wheels, brakes and suspension from later models.

Edited by Dezza