Engine paint

This old chestnut pops up from time to time. The general consensus from nearly every post is always the same. The paint is only as good as the prep. A long the surface is clean, dry and grease/oil free, any engine paint will stick like shit to a blanket.

I use Halfolds engine paint myself.  Never had any problems.

• Like 1

Hammerite Satin black for me, had in for years, my engines look like new.

Prep is easy, application is tricky. Fine and very thin layers, allow to get tacky between very light costs in warm air. Side casings are best done horizontally (ie take them off or put the engine on its side). 

I hate the application, love the finish and the durability 

@Swirl I've painted over a dozen engines using Halfords satin or gloss engine paint over the years. Always left with 10-20% in the tin when finished. Tins are only 250ml but I've never come close to running out. Satin engine in background. 

20190607_215218.jpg

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, B12Mick said:

Jaydee, the satin finish looks spot on  in your picture- I picked some up from Halfrauds on Sunday 

Half the battle is resisting touching up a coat while it's still tacky. Each coat 'flats out' as it dries. Make sure the paint is bone dry before touch ups or second coats.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Half the battle is resisting touching up a coat while it's still tacky. Each coat 'flats out' as it dries. Make sure the paint is bone dry before touch ups or second coats.

Cheers Jaydee, will resist the temptation until each coat is dry