GSX-R 750 86 Restoration from junk

21 hours ago, wsn03 said:

You're very quick!!! Great progress

Normally I just have to be at my work from 08:15 to 13:00h, that’s why I have all afternoon for sports, family or my garage...

I haven’t done much today, but I did try on the Kawa wheel and rear brake with the oem swing and it’s a very easy fit.

But I prefer to try finding the re-forced unit from the Gsxr 1100 just for the look..

3109B18D-644F-460D-996E-C0DE45AED22D.jpeg

• Like 4

I found a set of brand new in the box Wiseco pistons this afternoon, I went to have a look at a crashed 92 GSXR750 for sell at the village where I live, ones there in his garage I discovered that he Also is selling a Bonneville 750, CB750, CBX750 and a Z900 I was quite impressed and suddenly i discovered the wiseco box laying there....

We did agree a package price for al his stuff!

New future project to come...

• Like 3

884cc is the generally accepted 'big bore' but some tuners have taken them out to 950cc with clever mods. Re : your find - the Bonnie is meh, depending on condition, the CB750 shouldn't be mentioned but if the sohc type, has cult following, CBX - boat anchor and the Zed - well , its a licence to print money if clean and original - not many are!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

You should be able to buy a v. good second hand head for waaaaaay less than 16 valves will cost you ie. about a £100 / pair = £800 new LOL!

Yes You’re right on that but if I purchase another used head this will also be a 40 years old head with maybe 40 years old valves, and that’s the issue...

I not famous about cruising around, and this bike will probably visit the race track with frequency...

I not a very rich or poor person, wish means everything has to be considered (as for most of us I suppose)

Nothing wrong with 40 yr old valves but if you don't trust them then you'll either have to dig deep for stock or go aftermarket stainless steel but aren't much cheaper usually more expensive for the 750's! - SS valves for the 1100 are about 1/2 the price - probably bigger market! 

It's your risk - replace only the defective ones = save money but others could give out and you lose an engine? Or use a set of s/hand ones and you are in the same place or bankrupt yourself with complete new set of stock or aftermarket. One 'off the wall' idea as alternative is use 1100 valves - they aren't known for failing as they don't tend to get over rev'd like 750's - so cheaper s/hand and will require machining as they are 1mm bigger than the 750's but would be a performance bonus?

2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Nothing wrong with 40 yr old valves but if you don't trust them then you'll either have to dig deep for stock or go aftermarket stainless steel but aren't much cheaper usually more expensive for the 750's! - SS valves for the 1100 are about 1/2 the price - probably bigger market! 

It's your risk - replace only the defective ones = save money but others could give out and you lose an engine? Or use a set of s/hand ones and you are in the same place or bankrupt yourself with complete new set of stock or aftermarket. One 'off the wall' idea as alternative is use 1100 valves - they aren't known for failing as they don't tend to get over rev'd like 750's - so cheaper s/hand and will require machining as they are 1mm bigger than the 750's but would be a performance bonus?

Hi

So you mean that just the 1100 valve seat is 1mm diameter larger and the rest is the same length/diameter?

Same valve guide and cotter?

Please confirm as it’s seams very interesting to me... 

Cheers

Jan

Edited by ElVikingoTropical

Valve heads are 1mm bigger, stems are the same at 5mm, stems on the 1100's are 0.5mm longer so should be able to accommodated with the adjusters. Its whether they can all be fitted into the chamber? Std. seats should be able to be cut to take a 1mm oversize head.

Just thought of another option - turn down an 1100 valve to 750 size - I wouldn't adjust the length as the tips tend to be hardened.