GSX-R 750 86 Restoration from junk

Cool project, definitely going in the deep end restoration wise :) Good progress so far!

From those who have tried it, is soda blasting a complete engine (without later disassembling to clean) considered safe or risky?

(not sure if ElVikingo is intending to disassemble, just curious)

3 hours ago, LightsOut said:

Cool project, definitely going in the deep end restoration wise :) Good progress so far!

From those who have tried it, is soda blasting a complete engine (without later disassembling to clean) considered safe or risky?

(not sure if ElVikingo is intending to disassemble, just curious)

HI I just soda blast before dismantling the complete engine as this way its cleaner and also one way to advance as before painting and reassembling again.

Some parts to be powder coated other powder coated etc...

Cheers 

Jan

22 minutes ago, 1100fred said:

What damage has it done to the barrels ?

It will need a light honing.

As I have no experience with this engine I don’t know what piston to search for, I’m not building a race engine but as I have to replace and doesn’t know what brand to use.

I have been restoring air cooled Porsche and Ducati’s for more than 25 years and this is new for me

1 hour ago, dupersunc said:

Suzuki stock a lot of oem stuff for these bikes.

Failing that Wiseco do a 1mm oversize piston which ups the compression a bit too.

Whilst I know of a racer that fitted 3 different sized pistons just to get through a race meeting the resultant vibration was unbelievable so I couldn't recommend overboring just one cylinder! An OEM std piston, new rings and a 'gentle' hone should work for you providing bore damage ain't too great.

3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Whilst I know of a racer that fitted 3 different sized pistons just to get through a race meeting the resultant vibration was unbelievable so I couldn't recommend overboring just one cylinder! An OEM std piston, new rings and a 'gentle' hone should work for you providing bore damage ain't too great.

Who mentioned anything about replacing a single piston?:pimp:

There's many arms that can be made to fit, some with a bit of 'gentle persuasion!' However, if you want to stay with the classic Suzuki look, why not use the later G/H model arm? It was made 25mm longer than the F models, to keep the front end down, and generally improve things. I think the 1100 Slabbie arms might be an option also? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dupersunc said:

Nice find.  Ist that an 1100 lump in there?  look like 1052 carbs, and the block has 14 fins..

Where are you based?

As it’s at main land I haven’t seen more than this pics, I live at Canary Islands outside west Africa’s coast! 2.5 hour flight from Spanish Mainland 

Its suppose to be a 750cc...

cheers 

Jan

Edited by ElVikingoTropical
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, ElVikingoTropical said:

As it’s at main land I haven’t seen more than this pics, I live at Canary Islands outside west Africa’s coast! 2.5 hour flight from Spanish Mainland 

Its suppose to be a 750cc...

cheers 

Jan

Nice place to live, not great for old Suzuki spares I guess though.