1100M shock swap options

hello again, 

ive not been on for a while so have kinda lost touch with what fits what.

ive just bought a gsxr 11 m blind, and it turns out its, er, well lets just say it  needs a few jobs doing - great eh?

anyway the back shock resembles a pogo stick, very little damping at all, just spring.

Im looking to update with something a bit more modern, but I don't want to be hacking lumps out of battery boxes or any of that  sh*t.

SO what fits them without needing to modify stuff?

What are my options?

The 1000 K7/8 are just 3mm longer than stock, although the spring is a bit stiff, the earlier 1000's are 20mm longer and will raise the rear 2 inches, so really need longer suspension link rods/dog bones to drop it down  to keep the bike balanced. The GSXR600/750 K6 - L0 shocks are 315/320mm long and work well - any newer and they changed the lower mount from clevis /fork end to single eye. TBH many shocks can be made to fit and work better than a clapped out shock, but one fairly similar in length, stroke length and spring rating will work best. Modern shocks almost always mean moving the battery box to clear the reservoir.

shock lengths.jpg

• Like 3

S1000rr works great in my 750 M and some lust racing jack up dogbones really help get some good front end feeling back, the electrical gubbinbs under the battery tray need to be moved but swing up around the fusebox perfect and the only real job is to extend the starter cable to the relay. The electrics are better up there anyway out of the elements better

IMG_20190506_171023.thumb.jpg.02ab9d8a27071fc9031b9a10f4a3cbee.jpgIMG_20190516_200536.thumb.jpg.400bf5711f6451688633e24498f551e0.jpgIMG_20190516_200605.thumb.jpg.092bc69be39023db6bf774087c7abf0c.jpg

• Like 1

well, er , this is a bit embarrassing. 

While clearing through some "old shit" in the garage, I found these.

They are undoubtedly gsxr, I think they have  seen very little use, cos they have been in here for at least 20 years.

The left one is an EMC race shock (remember them?)

The middle one with the adjuster on the bottom, any idea what model it would be off?

Im pretty sure the right one is either K or L model, and looks pretty mint, for its age. 

its also jogged my memory, ive got a WP one somewhere too. 

the joys of old age and dodgy memory, imagine how pissed id have been if id bought one, and then found them ha ha 

1.jpg

Edited by baldrick
  • Like 2