Earls Elbow

Evening all

Noticed a slight wheep on my kats oil cooler fitting between the earls elbow and rad adaptor..decided to crack it open..wipe..relighted and hey presto..now pisses out..but under the elbow flats..and out of what looks like a small hole again on the nut flats

Don’t know what threads these are but it looks like some kind of ptfe tape is used on the rad adaptor so maybe NPT..dunno...anyway any advice how to assemble these fitting would be pukka..thank you very much ....your time is appreciated 

2F8A0532-9B75-4341-ACBD-92B111BE7596.jpeg

6E5D08F4-33C3-4997-A12F-985E3CF65A49.jpeg

40F1D826-F15B-49C3-83B3-4C25BE5544FF.jpeg

PTFE tape will add to thread diameter and crack unions.prob better off fitting a new union.cup and cone face fit and nipped up gentley.ptfe tape is now an mot failure/illegal on hgv air brake systems because it leads to cracking alloy.im sure thread size is bsp.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gammaboy said:

Has someone tried to jam AN or JIS fittings onto BSP threads?

^^^ Gets my vote ! When correct, the taper seats between fitting and rad will seal with little more than finger tightening - PTFE on the threads only used to stop threads galling / welding together over time - NOT SEALING LEAKS 

On 5/30/2019 at 8:32 AM, Gixer1460 said:

PTFE on the threads only used to stop threads galling / welding together over time - NOT SEALING LEAKS 

Maybe that’s why the other end has ptfe tape too E2D6ADC6-C600-46FC-9E11-B657DF550392.thumb.jpeg.0cf7069dad4c044c0bbd27bfbf56d8f0.jpegbut the fittings screw on nicely.....looks like oil cooler is problem you can’t unscrew the adapter even though it has a nut,it seems to be one piece...gonna pop into hose advise to see if they can tell what the threads are 

DA640FB3-ACD7-4129-A371-BA207B337FC4.jpeg

38FCF6CF-4241-4CB1-8D06-09534C491837.jpeg

New coolers are not too costly, look on ebays for one the correct size. The cost is mainly in the fittings and Earl's especially so personally I would make sure I know what size Earls fittings they are, then buy a new cooler of the correct fitment. Also the last leak I had came from where the hose meets the fitting, as it had gone hard over time but all that PTFE tape suggests that someone has tried this to seal mismatched hose fittings.

3 hours ago, dupersunc said:

Someone has done a neat job of converting it to those fittings, but if the tapered seat is marked they won't seal. Looks like you need a new cooler at the very least.

Looking at the cooler threads - they are goosed and probably, even with the correct threads, it's unlikely they'd tighten down correctly! Just hope the line fittings aren't equally mullered.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dezza said:

The cost is mainly in the fittings and Earl's especially so personally I would make sure I know what size Earls fittings they are, then buy a new cooler of the correct fitment.

My thoughts too 

4 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Looking at the cooler threads - they are goosed and probably, even with the correct threads, it's unlikely they'd tighten down correctly! Just hope the line fittings aren't equally mullered.

Totally agree...no the oil line fittings look as new to me at both ends

8 hours ago, dupersunc said:

Never ever any need to run ptfe tape on those JIC fittings.

Thread form is unf.

AN-6 are 19/16" unf

AN-8 are 3/4" unf

AN-10 are 7/8" unf

Much appreciated..

Thanks for all your input

• 4 weeks later...